B&W CDM 9NT
Description: The CDM 9NT really is an excellent example of the marrying of technological design with stunning aesthetics. This top model in the Series incorporates the unique FST "surroundless" midrange driver first pioneered in the Nautilus 800 Series. Other technological features include Nautilus tweeter, paper/Kevlar cone bass driver with mushroom dust cap for extra diaphragm stiffness, Flowport and braced cabinet construction. The handcrafted cabinets incorporate the best in design know-how and are available in three finishes - Cherry, Red Stained Cherry and Black Ash.

Submitted by Steve Razzetti a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've had these for two years now and they absolutely rock. I love them! I have them bi-amped with Musical Fidelity A3CRs and play vinyl - mostly reggae, soul, blues, funk. Tight, deep bass. Lots of control. Fabulous detail in horns and piano, crisp highs and they love to play loud. I have a large music collection and am still constantly amazed at how well these perform - they reveal stuff in recordings and pleasantly surprise me. Got them for less than £800 on eBay - I am certainly a happy bunny!

Submitted by ces4x4 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
Have had these speakers for several years now. I've used power amps rated from 30wpc to 380wpc with them. Am currently using a 60wpc amp (rotel) with a Mac tube preamp. These speakers have always sounded very good, possibly bright depending on your amps so be careful which ones you use. These speakers are very revealing. Any weakness in electronics comes through in spades. In my current system I am very pleased as I find myself listening to the music and not the components. Maybe a little short in the bass but I use a Velodyne sub set 4dB higher at 40hz than the 9nt's put out so it blends in very nicely, not boomy yet full and airy, for a lack of better words. Have had SPL's hit 106dB at my listening position without audible strain. They sound equally good at rock concert levels as they do playing in the back ground. The 106dB reading was with the 380wpc amp of course!! Though my current 60wpc amp plays nicely while hitting 100dB at the listening position.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Slant83 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Bottom Line:
I just purchased these babies to replace my Thiel CS1.5s. They are a little brighter than the Thiels but sharp and crisp. Sharp probably should be replaced by ACCURATE. Every note is crystal clear. More pronounced bass and a quicker and tighter response. The baby Thiels were no slouch but a little weak in the bass. (Also a respectable speaker in its own right and highly recommend for smaller rooms but need good power)

Setup: (my 15 yr old Adcom stuff...still cookin!!)

Adcom GFA 555 amp 200wpc
Adcom GTP 500 II tuner/preamp
Adcom GCD 700 cd
Oppo dv-981HD DVD/SACD
Canare 4S11 cables and interconnects

Rotel equipment may warm it up some but still kicks butt.

Purchased At:   Private seller

Submitted by Greg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
Much has been said about these speakers already and I'll just add that they are great for the money. I'm in love with them. They are great with both music and action DVDs.

I will say I first bought them and came home, hooked them up to my old Yamaha reciever with cheap speaker wire, cheap interconnects and cables, and no power conditoner, and was very dissapointed with the difference in sound between the audio store and my home. Upgrading the rest of my gear became a mission. My current setup below:

Arcam DiVA ARV200 - AV Reciever
Arcam DIVA P85 - 2nd Power Amp.
NAD T571- DVD/CD
Furman PM8- Power Conditioner
B&W CDM 9NT - Main Speakers
B&W CDM CNT - Center Channel
B&W ASW 675 - Subwoofer
B&W DM 602 S3 - Back Channels

All speakers Bi Amped with Audioquest Type 2 on top, and Type 4 on bottom of speakers.
CinemaQuest VSD2 Digital Cable
AudioQuest Viper Analog Cables out from ARV200 to my P85 Amp.
Monster Bass 400 Subwoofer Cable and Interconnects

WIth this setup the sound is beyond breathtaking. Although all my equipement wasn't cheap it results in fantastic sound and vision for the money.

My advice, power matters! Bi-Wiring and Bi-Amping the front 2 CDM 9NTs and also my CDM CNT (center channel) lower freqency plugs with the Arcam P85 and driving the upper freq plugs with the ARV200 Reciever really extended their bass and over all performance. Good speaker wire and interconnects matter too.

I believe setting up my system this way really helped integrate the sound with my ASW 675 Subwoofer too. It took some tweeking to set it up right so that it sounded both good with music and action DVDs. Giving the lower drivers of the 9NTs that extra power keeps it sounding balanced with the sub.

Purchased At:   Classic Stereo

Submitted by mona979 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I can tell you that the difference is what you are driving these speakers with. I have a Hafler Xl-280 amp, and had a yamaha cx-600 preamp, and I liked the sound but knew I was not getting the full affect. Sold the yamaha and got a Hafler Pre 945. It made the speakers the best I have ever heard. You can not imagine the high's, low's and mid's are outstanding. You loose the speakers in the music, there is no extra backround garbage.