Avance Technologies Epsilon 910
Description: AV Speaker

Submitted by messer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'd been looking for physically small speakers for a very long time. They all seemed too "flat" sounding and with almost no bass definition. Then I walked into a local hi-fi enthusiast store to buy new cables for my old Jamo speakers. The man behind the counter presented me for a set of danish speakers called Avance Epsilon 910. I'd never heard about them. I asked if I could drop by on a later note with some of my cd's.

A week later I did so and after 30 minutes of listening I bought the speakers and a nice set of mounts. They are incredible. Their bass and dynamics are fantastically well defined. They are especially good at acoustic intruments but also handle synths very very well. Especially analogue synths. Our living room is about 3,5 x 4,5 metres and they handle the room's acoustics very good. Even now as they're not totally "played in" I must say they are a fantastic buy and very much worth the price.

Purchased At:   Frydendahl Hi-FI

Submitted by Kenneth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for about 1 month. Just out the box they were not that superb. But already after a few hours the bass improved very much. Then over the next 10-12 days the midrange opened up even more and the highs got a bit of warmth. And the music started to really get into the room. After the first two weeks the improvement are minor.

In my small room (3x4 meter/10x13,3 ft) this speaker is great! It's forgiving if you do not have a whole lot of space. I have the speakers about 25cm (10 inch.) from the backwall. The bass is deep (considering the size) and tight. If I move them closer to the wall it's too much for my taste and the bass gets muddy and undefined. Midrange is open, dynamic and very plesant to listen, much like the highs. The highs are smooth and not hard in any way. There's very good control of the drivers when things starting to bang heavily.

That's my experience in a few words.

system:
amp:Densen beat100
cd:Cambridge CD6 (mod. with lclock xo and ad825 op-amps)
speaker:Avance Epsilon 910 mk2
cable:DIY silver interconnect

check my setup at: http://www.kk2000.subnet.dk/sound

Submitted by eran fogel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
this is a gorgeos speaker,at this price you just can dream
about this quality of units, the sound is up above any competition, no other speaker at the price can deliver such
a great clear midrange, soundstage and accuracy, it has
a great tonal balance,and big fully bass for the size!
althogh, my listening room is small (3*4m)i try them
at a bigger room (5*7) and they fill the room without problems.
i drive them with a modified dynaco st-35 , and although
they are not the easiest to drive (4 ohm,86db)
at 4 ohm connection, my amp (15 w.p.c)can drive them suprisingly loud...
this speaker is absolutly a prove, that if you use first class units, cabinet and electronics, and your desire
is first of all for making people enjoy music ... you can achieve such a great quality product, with a honest price!

system:
cd:linn mimik ||
pre amp:mccormack ald-1
power amp:dynaco st-35
tt: rega planar 3 with linn k-9
speaker: avance epsilon 910

Submitted by Steve a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Although I've only had them for two weeks I've noticed a few things right out of the box. First these speakers are well made (and should be for around $1000). The finish is not as fancy as say the B&W CDM1SE, but the sound makes up for it. I find them very easy to listen to for long periods of time. They handle all types of music well, but excel especially at female vocals. I've thrown everything at them so far including dance, rock, jazz, new age, you name it. They have handled it all well so far with grace. In comparing these to the above speakers, I found the B&W 602s to be too boomy, and the 601s were too lean. I really like the Linn Tukans and almost purchased them until I heard these, the Avance have just as wide of a sound stage in my opinion, but with a better bottom end (the Tukans really do not have much bass at all, but are dynamite in all other aspects). The dynaudio speakers were good also, I only auditioned the audience 40s and can only comment on these. They had a great midrange, but not much bass. I'm sure the audience 50s improve greatly on the bass, but were not available for me to listen to. As for the rest of the system, I would recommend a good amp for these speakers since they are 4 ohms and will tax any cheapo amp (which is what I have right now). They sound really natural and that is what I was looking for (sound good right against the wall which was a plus for my cramped space...front ported), and as a previous reviewer stated, it is hard to purchase a speaker when you haven't heard much about it in the press, but give them a listen and you'll be surprised. I hope to post more on them after I have upgraded my amp and put these on worthy stands.
Steve

Value:****(could be a little cheaper)
Overall:****(nothing is perfect)

Associated Equipment:
Rotel RCD971 CD Player
Sanyo Integrated Amp
Audioquest 2+ speaker wire
Cheap Monster interconnects

Submitted by Peo Emgård a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use these babies as my surround speakers, which, of course is overkill big time. I got them at the right price though I would have bought dipoles if there were any available.

These are the most natural sounding speakers I've heard. In the price range they must be considered a steal. If you're Scandinavian they're even cheaper than in the US, while most other speakers are twice the price in Scandinavia.

The only reason for not buying these is that they're hard to find, that information about them (such as a home page) is even harder to find and that there are very few magazines out there that tested them, so if you don't trust your own ears you'll probably end up buying a well-known brand instead, paying the double, getting half the quality.