Atlantic Technology System 170
Description: 6 piece home theater speaker system

Submitted by Geoff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Unfortunately a driver in one of the LR speakers was defective and I had to return it to OneCall (at my cost). Once I received the replacement set and connected the 5.1 System170 to my new Harman/Kardon AVR-525 I was overwhelmed with satisfaction. I did not experience the "boxy" sound that some others have cited in early use, but I must say that these speakers have matured and do sound better now than at first. As mentioned by others, the bass response of the 172 PBM is outstanding. It delivers powerfull, firm production yet avoids drowning out the mid and higher frequency instumentation and vocals, which are reproduced with great clarity by the LRs and center channel speakers. The dipole surrouds fill out the sound nicely. I bought the 29" Atlantic Technology 176 stands for both practical and asthetic reasons as they lend a sharp appearence to an already classy looking HT speaker system. The system sounds equally outstanding with music, DVD movies, or just watching TV.

Purchased At:   OneCall

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I thought these speakers sounded very good, however once I heard the new Polk speaker, I realized that these weren't the speakers for me. The Polks LSi series are much better. For the price, I now realize that you should get more for your money.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by WILL MOOR a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Looking for Great sound and Good looks The Atlantic Tech Sys 170 is the right ticket for you. After shopping around and Listening to Dozens of Home theater Speakers The System 170 was my Choice. Little did I know that They would put my System in the gotta have Range with My friends. Movies and Music the sound is Amazing You wont go wrong with these Speakers

Purchased At:   HOME THEATER COMPHAN

Submitted by Marlon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
When it came time to replace my old stereo system, I wanted a excellent home theater/hi fi set that wasn't going to have me dipping in my 401k and selling off my stock.

I had narrowed my choice down to the MK 750, Infiniti IL 10's with IL 25 center, with Velodyne C-120 or M&K Mark II 125 (if I was willing to shell out the cash)or one of the HSU subs). I also looked at Atlantic Tech 270. I was able to audition all of them one way or the other.

I read all the reviews of this product on this site (and others on the internet). Needless to say this speaker had a lot to live up to.

When I compared the price to the listening experience with the others, the system 170 really stood out. I didn't bother to listen to the others as much anymore (M&K was missing rears)for the $1000 extra dollars (that includes infinit set up). The 170 sounded good enough for me. Why go through the torture of comparison. The AT 170's kept seducing me. I went to Sound City several times after with my own CD and DVD's to further audition. At that point I focused on the 170 to see if I could live with it.

My main concern (before purchase)was, would the satelites (90hz crossover)integrate with the subwoofer, compared to the lower infiniti's (56hz) and M&K and 270 system (crossover at 80hz).

Yes they do. I'm happy to say. This system is clear and loud. The speakers sound mature, their not bright or agressive for 90hz handling. They sound very composed as if they're actually larger. The P172(sub) picks up seamlessly where the satelites crossover. I did mention on high out put, heavy bass music, you may want to lower the sub for localization. But most people may not care or notice, and I'm telling you I was playing some very bassy Reggae very loud to notice (and that's only because I sit in front of the sub and I was looking for it(it's behind the couch) I felt it. Nothing a -1-3db adjustemtnt or enjoying the music and not nitpicking couldn't fix. It's a Beast.

For stereo The imaging is excellent. MY satelites are 9' a part, and I sit 9' away. Sometimes I forget that I'm in stereo mode and not five chanel or some DSP.

The sound stage is wide, full and deep. You can pick out instruments clearly vertically and horizonitally. My Sarah Vaughn Verve and Blue note CD compilations sounded down right intimate. It's as if she was their. The more you play them, the more expansive they become. These aren't boxy speakers.

When your receiver is properly calibrated the 5 channel stereo sounds excellent with the Dipoles. My other concern with this unit (before purchase)was, would the dipoles defuse too much of the 5 channel audio. It sounds good to me. The great thing with dipoles, depending on how you position them, you can get a more direct radiating sound, and always turn them back for diffusement (or find a sweet angle for both as I did).

This thing sounds great in 5 Channel audio and Matrix on the Denon 3801.

The system sounds probably even better in home theater. The speakers hit hard and fast and keep up with the action on the screen. The center is clear and intelligble. The LR speakers offer expansiveness and proper intergration with the fronts. The Dipoles create both a immersive sound field and provide excellent panning. The sub is quiet when it needs to and hits hard then dissapears. This all seems to come from the appropiate speakers as well. The front back pans are seamless as well.

Maybe in the future another P172 sub (for the far corner of my irregular shaped basenent) further away from the optimized listening position. But that's another quibble.

My room is 15'x20x7'.

The speakers sound Great. They sounded great when I first got them (the center may of been a little tight knowing how much use it was going to get)and it seemed to loosen up also with further use. They seem to become more expansive with further use. Great clean sounding system for music and movies.

Note: Wagner and the guys at Sound City gave me excellent service and advice. Check them out.

My system is

Scientific Atlanta 900 channel Digital Cable Box

Purchased At:   Sound City

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Excellent sounding speakers that get better the more you use them. After about two months, I believe they are finally broken in. This Saturday was the first time I had to say that these are kickass speakers.

System: