Atlantic Technology 250.1
Description: 6 Speaker System

Submitted by John B. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I agree with Dennis. Other than the subwoofer Atlantic makes, I will never buy anything with the AT logo. The sound is LOUD no doubt, but totally trecherous to my ears. I would call them super bright with no bass extension. A definite no-no for audio enthusiast. I bought a set of Optimus LX-10 pro towers and matched them with the Atlantic subwoofer (which is a clear winner).
I only give this set a 3 b/c the sub is a fiver!!

Submitted by Dennis Krilic a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
Average to poor sound for home theatre. Musical reproduction is absolutely horrible. Bought from Sound City and they were nice enough to trade out the 2 main speakers for NHT Super Ones for a small additional cost. Bought a NHT Super Center to match. The difference is amazing. Go with the NHTs and don't make my mistake.

Submitted by Randy a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this system from One Call about 3 weeks ago. They had just received more after being out for a short time. I love this system and have it set up with a HK AVR75, RCA DS5451 Satelite system, an older 35" Toshiba TV and a Kenwood DP-R4430 Cd player. I listened to many other speakers. Started with the Bose, (my wife wanted something unobtrusive), not enough life and too pricy. Then listened to Klipsch, Polk, Boston, and NHT. I liked Boston and NHT too, but when all was said and done it was between the NHT and the Atlantic's. I couldn't justify the difference in price, with tweeking my ears can't tell much difference, the NHT's are sweet for sure, but hundred's more for the system ruled them out. These speakers are smooth and tight and the 10" powered sub shakes my large room (my setup is at one end of a combination kitchen, dining room, family room area 15 x 45), very well! I also love the HK receiver. Yes the manual is weak on information, but with a little fiddling I've become comfortable with the setup and the remote which allows you to adjust speaker levels individually for each component used, i.e. CD, Vid 1, Vid 2, etc., great especially for the sub output difference I like for movies compared to CD's. Overall I am very pleased with my speakers and system. The speakers look good, (pleased my wife) and sound great! I give them four stars for performance, five if price is considered.

Submitted by Bill Harris a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I got the AT 250.1 speaker system from www.onecall.com for $932 plus shipping on a closeout. I assume they are all gone by now. I have not compared other speakers, but I can say that these give a wonderful experience. I'm only giving four stars out of five, because I assume that there may be something better out there, although I have not personally heard anything. I suspect that anything better would also be significantly pricier. FYI, I drive these with Sony DVP-S7700, SONY STR-DA50ES, and DH Labs speaker cable. I will soon be taking early retirement and I am confident of being a happy camper for a long time, audio-wise.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Gary a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've heard the 270 home theater system by AT and wondered how the 250.1 compared to it. Have any of the owners of the 250.1 listened to the 270 system at a dealer and comnpared it to what they have at home. I would appreciate an honest comparison.