Athena Technologies S3
Description: 3-way design that can be used as front speakers, or rear channel speakers in a surround system.

Submitted by Tory Toews a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair of s3 and p3's, and have enjoyed them for over a year. Smooth high end, strong mid, and low bass, that can be set according to what kind of mood you are in. I grew up in family that loves stereo equipment. My dad owns a pair of old klipsch corner horns run by a luxman lab series amp to replicate a tube amp. I constantly compare the two. And because I am young, and enjoy more bass at times I like my speakers better. These speakers shine with vocals and acoustics, but after listening to the klipsch, horn instruments just don't sound as appealing on the athena's. Don't get me wrong, horn instruments sound superb on the athena's, just not as realistic as the klipsch, but vocals and acoustics are not as enjoyable on the klipsch. Right now my speakers are running on a 200w rms yamaha natural sound stereo receiver, and if, and when I get a better amplifier, they will sound noticeably better. I know this because I tested them on my dads amplifier. But when it comes to sound, if it sounds good to you, it sounds good.

Purchased At:   Visions

Submitted by Drazden a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned Boston Acoustics for some time until they were replaced by Athena. There are three things that Canada is very good at. Hockey, beer and speakers, and these are magnificent. To anyone who thinks these are noise boxes, they should really pay attention to what they listen to. Speakers are purely a sujective purchase. API has created a masterful system. I own a pair of S3's with a pair of P3's and these were compared for some time to the Energy Veritas. Softer high end and amazing accuracy. I am amazed that someone would think that Cerwin Vegas or Klipsch or any other middle of the road speaker could compete. Full range, when the S3 is connected to the P3 by its nicad railing, is almost flawless. But again the type of music you listen to would make you buy certain speakers. Hence the wide variety of them. Bang for the buck??? definately worth its weight in gold. Simply amazing

Purchased At:   Visions

Submitted by Bruce Cheeseman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
These were purchased after extensive research of comparable speakers. These blew other speakers out of the water and were less expensive whilst retaining the quality of higher end speakers. My system includes a Yamaha AV Amp and a McClaren Main Amp that is specifically dedicated to driving the Athena's as main speakers.
This combination is great for both Home Theatre and CD's as I have sparate DVD and CD players.

Purchased At:   Harvey Norman

Submitted by Buick92 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers after a long review of other speakers in the same price range (Polk, Cerwin Vega, Bose, and Mission). I ended up with 2ea S3 1ea P3(Sub)and stands. Wow I was amazed with the sound and stereo image that this set can produce. The highs are crisp and clean the midrange smooth and the bass adjustable to suit the type of music you like, if you want to shake the plaster off the walls you can, but still clean and pure. You can fill the room with great sound or listen to any TV show and it seems the sound comes from the TV...
I only have 110 watts to drive these babies, but when I get my 200 watt amp I will review them again...

Purchased At:   2001 Audio Video

Submitted by chas46034 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I read the reveiw in stereophile and bought these demo's on a whim.At the same time I bought a wharfedale 8.3 and 8.1 diamonds for a home cinema.The athena's are just so much better.

Purchased At:   Audioadvisor