Athena Technologies Audition AS-F1

Submitted by irobb a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2015

Bottom Line:
Can you believe I found four of these with the center channel at a local thrift store for a total of $45 for ALL five speakers???

I am laughing so hard.

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2015

Bottom Line:
I picked these up for $250 CDN used but still with original packaging. I LOVE THEM!!! I have heard more expensive speakers like Paradigm's entry level. I was not impressed with them. The Athenas are an absolute joy to listen to and I never get fatigued. Highs are clear as day, mids are intact (not muddy) and bass is very tight. The ONLY time I noticed the bass get a little boomy was when playing Sarah McLachlan's Solace album. Apart from that experience, these are solid performers.

Submitted by ronnbot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2013

Bottom Line:
I've been enjoying these speakers for a few years now and they are great. Almost replaced them with a pair of Energy RC-70, which are obviously better (more detailed, more laid back, better sound stage/image, more bass, and so on). But, I returned the RC-70 because it's hard to justify spending $1000 on a new set of speakers (that has an MSRP of >$2000) when there's nothing really wrong with the Athena speakers.

They're a little bright but not harsh like your typical Klipsch and is a perfect match for my Harman Kardon AVR3600, which are a bit warm. The sound imaging is so good, sometimes I thought I forgot to switch to 2ch from surround mode, i.e. sounds like the center channel is on. The sound staging is decent too, as it feels like my room is bigger with the sound source having more depth. Other than that, the mids and bass extension (with the bass on my receive up a bit) are good but obviously you still need a sub for movies, and they shine when watching movies.

Submitted by Derek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought these 2nd hand off of Kijiji for $125 and love them! I did a lot of research before going out and getting these, as I had never heard of them, and am very glad that I did. Was upgrading for an old set of Technics SB-A28's and while they were good for 13yo speakers,they don't compare to these Athena's. Used primarily for movies and TV.. tested them out last night w/ 'Thor' and 'Captain America' on Blu-ray and was VERY impressed! Highly recommended!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Jon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
Picked these up at a local thrift. Brought them home & been running off a 40 year old Kenwood receiver. Never heard the Kenwood sound so good. Very clear & crisp highs. Nice punch on the low end. Nicely detailed mids for a 2 way speaker system. Research I did said these were good out of the box and did not need much break in time. If you can find a pair, get them. You would have to spead much more for the same sound quality.