ATC Passive 10
Description: Capable of up to 105dB continuous Power Output, with substantial transient headroom. The Passive 10 is capable of meeting power requirements of current high bit rate Stereo, Multichannel music and film soundtracks.

Submitted by dkzzzz a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is review for ATC SCM 12 passive, since AR does not offer separate category for it I added it to SCM 10s which are very similar except for SL (super linear magnet in SCM 12).
Very accurate but dark-voiced speakers. Bass is tight but somewhat constipated sounding. There is no bass expansion ,bass is short and brief. Highs are acuaret but NOT extended. It is near filed monitor at its heart and thus not suitable for audiophile applications.
You will hear very linear (no frequency sticks out) presentation of the sound and if you are really close to it you will hear very good representation of musical material.
However do not expect any filling-your room realism even at high volume. This speakers are not designed to give you crystal tremble or so-called sound stage. There is no sound stage at all: zip, zero sound stage.
So if you are DJ or audio engineer and work on music mixes professionally then go ahead by all means and buy ATC SCM but if you are audiophile and want great speakers for home listening look somewhere else.

Purchased At:   private sale

Submitted by wagnerian a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Bottom Line:
This review is for scm 10-2 which is pictured above. Mine is passive version. (Active was $5000.)

I am an audiophile who auditioned more than a couple of hundreds pairs and possessed more than 30 pairs so far. Simply, this set is the best set I have auditioned for 20 years of my audio life.

My favorites are all of ATC except scm 7, Tannoy, Harbeth, Proac, Vienna Acoustics... etc. And didn't much care about B&W, KEF, Quad, ...etc while these could be good for someone.

All the speakers have their own color I believe, especially like proacs which no one would believe it's neutral speaker. But, I deeply loved the sound of the giant Response 4 when I heard about 10 years ago. And at that time, started to search about the drivers of response 4 was using, ATC.

I had 4 sets of ATCs. All were great except scm 7 (However, I can't say it's bad cause I believe my amp at that time wasn't powerful enough to drive them.) And then this beautiful 10-2 unlike other ugly boxy ATCs, My only complaint about ATC was their ugly boxiness.

Sound? I cannot praise enough about these. Just marvlous! We can easily say the singer are standing in front of me! when we get a good pair of speakers. And there are many pieces like that out there. Hoever, these are real monitor I can really say that. Stunningly real!

Just find nearest ATC dealer & run! Don't take my word. Listening is believing.

I always changed my speakers every 3 to 6months but this one is the only one lasts more than 1 and half year and I don't think I would sell these.

It's that great!

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by s23chang a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
If you have not heard and ATC speakers then you have been missing out on good sound. Review is for the previous model SCM10 passive.
I owned these rosewood pair since 1999 and they're just great. I got the ATC SCM 10 mainly because of its size. It's mall yet produces big sound. They're only 80db and rated 350Watt. If you're using solid state, it will require at least 200Watt/ch to drive this speaker. I'm using 55Watt/ch tube amp and they work great with this speaker. This speaker is truly amazing if you know how to match it properly with a good amp. I've compared this speaker against many books shelf type and none of them even came close to ATC( except for the sonus faber gunari homage which cost 5 times the price.)
The sonic character of this speaker is extremely musical, transparent, sweet, excellent tight bass and dead accurate. Very realistic sounding ( not mechanical or soft sounding like some other book shelf monitor speakers) with the very best mid range response. Top end is gentle and elegant and low end is great control and punchy. This speaker really produce good full balanced sound. Regardless of the low frequency rating, it goes just as deep as my other speakers that has 12" woofer. However, if you like exaggerated bass ( in a large volume) then this is not for you or you should consider a matching subwoofer. It is not the speaker's fault to get it to sing, it is all about system matching. The previous owner gave it up because he can't match the speaker with proper amp. I've heard it on Krell's 300Watt/ch amp and it's good sound but a bid grainy. I have not tried Jeff Rowland amps with it but I think it would be less grain compared to the Krell. I've used it on McIntosh MC240 which produces good sound with the speaker. However, after I have discovered the Lafayette KT550 then the extra 15watt/ch really help to control the bass even better. The KT550 was originally designed by Stuart Hagman ( came from Harmon Kardon who design many of the Citation lines) back in 1959. It uses the same transformer as the Citation II amp ( uses 6550 tubes 60watt/ch.) I've tried 4 different preamps and they all work great with the Lafayette and ATC SCM 10. Target R series stands or Atlantic Technology Reference series stands works the best.
If you have limited listening area or you do not wish to have huge speakers taking up your living room then this speaker is for you.
Great bargain in used market today.

System setup:
Tuner: McIntosh MR71 with Richard Moderferri Modification
Turntable: VPI HW19 MK IV /graham 1.5T/VDH black beauty with XLO reference 3a tonearm cable
cd player: Marantz CD 17 MKII
preamp: Counterpoint SA5000
amp: Lafayette KT550
interconnect: Stealth M-21 special ( CD player to preamp )
NBS King serpent II ( preamp to amp )
speaker cable: NBS Master