ALR Jordan Entry 2M

Submitted by TheRambler a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
Very nice little monsters those bookshelves are! When I compared them to another reference boookshelf speakers PMC TB2+, a real Brit with higher value, it has nothing lacking,even may have better balance in harmonics.Complex passages very well defined at any volume..but you need better sources to see how good energy you get from those beauties..one nice tweak I do recommend: use wet-like foams between the speakers and the stands and you will be amazed!!!

Submitted by Denis Zeltser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I decided to set up my first hi-fi system based on PC. I already owned a Audiotrak Maya44 professional sound board, Kenwood KAF-3030RS amplifier and was thinking about the speakers. I've read all the reviews about the ALR/JORDAN Entry 2M and decided to take the pair - yet I've heard nothing about this label ever before. I can asy I'm not disappointed at all! Entry 2M sound a lot like a studio monitor - analytically, not in a straight Hi-Fi manner. Very clear sound, but the bass is not powerful enough, the mids are somewhat oppressed; Entry 2M are ideal for acoustic bands (ie Radiohead). Electronic music, especially house, are played without sparkles.

Purchased At:   RAS Audio/Used Hi-Fi

Submitted by Big Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these largely because of the rave reviews here on AudioReview.com, and I have not been disappointed! At their original suggested list price of $600 they might be a bit overpriced, but at $199 they were a HUGE bargain. Overall, these are the best "bookshelf" speakers I've ever owned: smooth, yet detailed, with amazing bass for their compact size (13" high, 8" wide, 11.25" deep). Because they are ported in back, they need to be positioned away from the wall at least 6" and preferebly 12" or more, so it's not really accurate to call them "bookshelf" speakers; plan on buying or building a solid pair of stands. Like any speakers, the ALR/Jordan Entry 2M's have their limits. They won't play ear-bleed loud, and their sound is a bit on the "mellow" or "laid-back" side. Personally, I prefer that; if you like a lot of "presence" in a speaker, these may not be the ones for you. But if you're looking for a compact speaker with an easy-going, musical sound, these are among the very best you'll find. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by john a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are as good sounding as any $1000 speaker you can buy. My Soliloquy 5.0 was the reigning champ, at $1100 retail, but these are as good. They are a true bargain. The cabinets are plastic finish, however, where the Sols are real wood veneeer, at more than 2x cost. These are razor quick and detailed, but with a nicely controlled high end. Also excellent, very tight and detailed bass without boom. Add a good subwoofer and you have a contender in the $2-3 k class. The midrance has an uncolored presence that is almost spooky! Buy 'em; it's a no brainer if you like clean deatiled sound.

Submitted by Martin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
After I'd auditoned these I decided to try them at home just to be sure, but the box was heavy and I missed the train. Instead of waiting 1/2 hour sitting on a wooden bench with a big box on my lap, I set course to the nearest B&W retailer. I thougt I migth as well compare them to the similar prized 601 S2 model which I listened to some month earlier and liked alot.

There's no doubt the ALRs where the better speakers. The two (or four) sounded quiet alike tonally, but while the B&Ws had a slight more soft treble the ALRs had a more convincing sound with deeper and better bass combined with a clearer and cleaner midrange.

The B&Ws seemed to have a boomy midbass character though, which combined with the missing lows could be the result of a misstuned cabinet. Due to their deep, tight bass the ALRs is very good with drum'n'bass and twostep-garage. The bass is very "equalized" in my room: 2,5x4 meters. Voices and acoustic instruments are very organic and open. It's probably their fluid and true reproduction of voices that made me buy them.

Simply HiFi-speakers.