Acoustic Energy AE109
Description: 3-way Magnetically Shielded Floorstanding Speaker - 5.25" Woofer, 5.25" Mid-Range, 1" Tweeter

Submitted by HIFIAUDIOVIDEOHEAVEN a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
With all the nonsense thats been said about these speakers
i have lived with them for 14 years owning dynaudio and Dali Mission Rogers and Kef

these speakers a very liveable with the do not have the bass of the dynaudio, they do not have the vocals of the Rogers, they do not have the clinical quality of the Kefs, they do not have the
problems Missions speakers have with room placement to near the wall boom taken out from the wall
bass disappears .

what they do have is to sound very musical with all music they are the speakers that keep you listening to the music .

BEST BUY EVERY TIME

EXTREMELY GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Got these clearance stock cheap.
These speakers are not true audiophile speakers. If you want to enjoy your music to the fullest then there are other better speakers out there. They produce a sound that is congested, the bass is boomy and the upper registers are hurting my ears. However if used in home cinema they are quite superb and packs a punch (they are hooked to my Denon AV amp). I'd stick to my old but trusty B&W CDM1se for my cd's.

Submitted by Eric Cartman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've owned these speakers for sometime now and I think they are the best part of my system. I've recently upgraded my Amp and after messing with different CD Players and DAC's, I've decided to keep the AE109's (mainly because i really like the looks/sound of them and have had a tough time finding anything better at a reasonable price)

Purchased At:   A. Audio Shop

Submitted by Peter Mercer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
After listening to Mission floor standers (too harsh) and KEF (1 dimensional) I asked for a speaker with a big warm sound and good bottom end - they brought a set of AE109's into the listening room. I got what I had asked for and bought them. True they are not the top end of the audio spectrum but they rule the £350 to £500 market for value and if your looking for some bass umph!!! I recommend bi-amping and nothing less. If you want to lighten the bass slightly but keep the power stand them on 3/4" thick slate slabs like mine.
If you don't like a warm bassy sound - it's simple don't buy them - If you do - they are a bargin

Submitted by mark a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
like most speakers these start to sound better after a bit of use ,the treble is smooth yet crisp and the powerful bass doesn't swamp the midrange keeping vocals and intruments focused in the soundstage.the imaging is exellent, these speakers image better than my old tannoy 605 which were supposed to be their strong point. despite their small 5.5 inch bass units these speakers love powerful amps . my only complaint is they can sound boomy with certain music if positioned too close to the wall,I have mine about 8 inches away and it cures the problem in my room, in my opinion these are one of the best budget~mid price speakers you can buy at the moment and they look classy too