Acoustic Design 9901
Description: Basic floor speakers<br/><br/><font color="red"><b>Possible Fraud Alert</b></font><br/>A large number of users have reported these speakers are being sold well above their intrinsic value under false pretences in parking lots, flea markets and online auctions. See <a href="http://www.scamshield.com/Feature.asp?id=1" target="_new">White Van Speaker Scam</a> for more info.

Submitted by bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
Lucky me! I was just scammed yesterday for $300. I thought it sounded like a good deal, apperantly they were worth $1,400....what, monopoly money? i just hooked it up today the tweeters dont sound terrible but the 12" subwoofer is a joke! So i am now telling you, if anyone aproaches you about buying this hunk of sh*t speaker. i own a pair of mirage m3 speakers which are pretty much the best of the best as far as home entertainment goes, i strongly recomend looking into buying a pair of those.

Purchased At:   X

Submitted by elsalao a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Guess what guys, I am laughing almost to dead. Same story as all of you, but the funny part is next:
A policeman not in service was on the public phone when the guy aproach him, he talk like three minutes and then he came to me, and told me the same story. I was a little bit reluctant, but then I went to talk to the guy in the phone and he told me that he told the speaker seller that if this was stolen merchandise he will bust his ass, then he told me, don't worry, this guy is legit. hahahahaha, a Cop told me that! an he also bought a pair! That's funny

Purchased At:   A Gas Station

Submitted by mustang50 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just had to laugh.. My roomate had just bought a pair of the 707 series. He asked if I could look for reviews on the internet. You know to see if he got a good buy. I looked a couple of days ago and couldnt find this particular model on audioreview.com so I assumed they were such a low quality speaker that I would tell him that I couldnt find anything. Well I was bored at work and searched a couple of different search engines and on yahooo I found that there was reviews for similar speakers The 9901 professional speakers ooooooooohhh ahhhhhh!!!!! Anyway to my suprise it looks as if he is just another sucker and got scammed. I dont know what he paid for them but ill bet it was in the area of 150-300 dollars. He hooked them up to an old optimus stereo reciever and uses them to "DJ" at my house for parties and whatever. I have heard them and they do work but they sound like what you paid for. Ill tear them apart and see if they are using crossovers but I can guess not. Man is he giong to be pissed when I print the 205 reviews from this site. Most of which are Sh@#! Anyway way I have friends in High places and ill see what info I can get on those plates and plaster it in the site to all who are concerned. Then the power goes back to the people and we can take care of it our way if the powers that be cant do anything about it. Hey I have lots of time on my hands so if anyone has any info email me.

Submitted by thisguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I paid too much but it could have been worse. I have been using the 9901s for a while and my major complaint is lack of bass. I figure they only hit down to 40Hz or so. Also, the "crossovers" are crap. I've never really turned them up that loud but the woofer magnets are tiny.
Here's what I did and suggest to anyone who actually plans to use these speakers. Go to radioshack and get a couple 3-way passive crossovers ($16 each) and some decent wire (16 gauge or so).. Take off the grills and speakers and wire in the cossovers using the new wire. It's pretty self-explanator how to use the crossovers.
I really don't think their scam was all that great, I wanted to believe it though because I actually figured they were stolen. I got what I deserved.

Purchased At:   gas station parking

Submitted by mattwier a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I live in Portland, Oregon. Apparently these guys are working here now. This afternoon (3/4/02), I was sitting in traffic on Foster Rd. and a guy in a late-model tan Pathfinder with California plates pulled up next to me and motioned for me to roll down my window. He gave me the same routine that I've read about so many times in these reviews. He seemed pretty surprised when I told him no, I didn't want to buy his speakers. Thank God for AudioReview. It looked like he got some poor sap to fall for his line, because I saw a guy in a blue pickup truck follow him into the Tom Peterson's parking lot. Poor fool. Thank God for audio review.

So, folks in the Portland area: This was a white guy with long wavy hair pulled back in pony tail. He was driving a late-model tan Nisan Pathfinder with California plates. I would have written the plate number down, but I didn't have a pen handy. I'm almost positive that the first 4 digits of the plate number were "3BUT", but I can't remember exactly. The Pathfinder had those crash cages around the head- and tail-lights, and the right side of the bumper was hanging off, like he'd been rear-ended. Hopefully not too many people get scammed by these guys.

Purchased At:   Didn''t purchase