Sylvania 6842THG 42 in. HDTV Plasma Television
Description: Perfect for movies and other programs formatted for 16:9 aspect-ratio screens. 6842THG XGA-HD also has HDMI input terminal. HDMI terminal is advanced interface which can delivery crystal clear digital video and digital audio signal using one cable.

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
Although it’s only been 10 days, I’m so far very happy with this TV. I bought it on “Black Friday”, but kept it under wraps until Christmas. I’m still trying to figure out all the features, but my initial observations are as follows.
• The HD picture looks absolutely great. Unfortunately, Cox cable only has a handful of actual HD content channels.
• The non-HD picture is hit or miss depending on the station and show. Some shows look pretty good, others not so good. I don’t think I can blame the TV for that.
• Watching conventional DVDs is definitely better than regular non-HD TV channels, but not as good as true HD. At first I found some live action movies to be rather dark, until I realized my DVD player (a Phillips) has brightness and contrast settings. Adjusting those made it much better.
• There are several functions to “stretch” the standard picture from 4:3 to 16:9. The best seems to be the “wide” function that stretches the edges of the picture without distorting the middle. However, regular TV shows seem to be broadcast in so many different formats, that I sometimes have to fiddle with these settings to get the best picture.
• The sound is adequate for our 12x20 den. We use the separate surround sound system for watching movies.
• We really only use it for TV and movie watching; no games or anything like that. The features seem to be quite adequate for our needs.

I paid $944 for this set at BJ’s Wholesale, and think it was a great deal. However I suppose it will be quite a bit cheaper six months from now.

Purchased At:   BJ's Wholesale