Gateway Plsmtv
Description: The Gateway plasma TV and digital display offers tremendous benefits for both consumers and businesses. Consumers will appreciate the stylish and space-saving design while enjoying outstanding TV picture quality. For business and institutional customers, the Gateway Plasma Display is the perfect tool for dynamic messaging, presentations, training and teleconferencing needs. It brings wide-screen viewing to conference rooms, reception areas and other locations that are too small for standard CRT monitors, projection TVs or other outdated messaging systems.

Submitted by irishpatrick33 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
Gateway 4200 HD Plasma is the worst product ever. Loud buzzing sound that they can't fix. On to of that, I have been screwed around with by Dell. To the point where I am contemplating organizing a class action lawsuit. If you had similar problems, contact me: tapsevarg@aol.com

Purchased At:   5/1/05

Submitted by bsebaz a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought the Gateway 46" Plasma TV and I can honestly say it has been the absolute worst consumer experience I have ever had in my time on Earth (By Far). There is not much more that I can say that already has not already been said. But I had to add my story to the growing list. I have gone thru 2 units and both sound like Bug Zappers. I am amazed that anyone can sell a television that buzzes louder than normal audio. If you have your sound cranked it will drown out the buzz but if you want to watch the news at normal sound level this unit will drive you nuts. Ultimately I am returning the unit and fortunately I did it within the 30 day money back but Gateway hits you with at 15% restocking fee. Unbelievable. But I have lived an learned and I let my excitement of getting a plasma get the better of my good judgement. However I went to check the TV out at one of their stores before buying and isn't it amazing how none of their sets there buzz. I knew the picture was not the greatest and was willing to accept that for the price tag, but the buzzing in unacceptable. Buyer beware DO NOT waste time and money buying this piece of junk.

Purchased At:   Gateway Online

Submitted by davidf a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
Gateway 46" plasma EDTV: Biggest piece of garbage, in my opinion, sold on this planet. Deceitful sales force that knows of the loud buzzing sound that the TV makes and the bad picture it has, but they continue to push the product, I believe knowing full well that they go out the door as lemons. They kept saying they got a bad batch, but I went through three different TVs and they got progressively worse. Tech support ignored my request for service on the first set. They said "It's allowed to make noise". Funny how the set on the showroom floor was quiet as a mouse with a good picture. I returned this set prior to the expiration of the 30 day return policy so I'm probably one of the lucky ones who did not get stuck with a lemon for good. Still I'm told I will need to wait for 10 to 14 days before I my credit card gets credited for the return. Save yourself a lot of grief and $1000 or more and go to Best Buy and purchase a Daewoo 42" plasma TV.

Purchased At:   Gateway

Submitted by fingers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
We have had this piece of junk for less than a month and Gateway has replaced it twice with more junk. They service department says that we can have a TV that puts out 40 decipals, well that gives us head aches just listening to the TV. The sales man (Citrus Heights, CA) is and was typical of a sleezy salesman, anything for the sale. We also bought their new Tablet PC while we were at the local Gateway store. When the last replacement TV arrived the outsourced technician said that the 46" plasma TV was a piece of junk and the outsourced trucking company driver agreed that he had been picking up and delivery lots of defective TVs. We had to purchase the stand separately ($200)and we originally thought the noise might be from not having the additional Gateway speakers we purchased those for $280 but it didn't solve the problem. We have the TV hooked up to a Bose surround system (never had a lick of problem with this system) so having to buy another $280 worth of speakers was quite a shock. Well the TV is going back to Gateway today (03/28/04) and we're going to go over to Best Buy and get the Daewoo 42" for a lot less and the stand is included in the base price of $2249. We also had trouble hooking our Sony DVD player up to the TV, it wanted to play everything in Black & White or in some strange color.

Purchased At:   Gateway

Submitted by Mike Schwanbeck a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
For the money your are paying this is an excellent TV. The people that say it's not worth the money are expecting to get a $6,000.00 plasma for $3,000.00 . Maybe they should stick with the SDTV until they see an HDTV or an EDTV in a garage sale. I love my TV and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

People complaining of buzzing and flics in the picture proabably don't have it hooked up right or using the right cables.
The eletrical distortion due to old wiring in a house can cause this effect and can be fixed by buying filter for the outlet.

Purchased At:   Gateway Country