Harman Kardon DVD 1
Description: Single Disc DVD player

Submitted by niclo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have dvd1 and the dvd10: both are out ofo order for feeding problems. My judgment is therefore much negative.

Submitted by wiitigoo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very nice player and regionfree, but trouble reading DVD's after a while. I've already been back with it five times and they say it needs cleaning each time! Anybody else with the same problem? I'm thinking about buying another brand because of this...HK won't do anything about it...

Purchased At:   RAF

Submitted by peufeu a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
This DVD ended up being more expensive than I thought as it made me buy a big projector !

I have been quite unimpressed by many players but this one truly does it right. It does not have flashy colours that make people look like plastic, no, it all looks so very real and lifelike. RGB connection is a must.

It had some reliability problems (power supply went down), was fixed by Harman quite fast.

It is unusable as a CD player for the following reasons :
- does not sound good on CDs (it is shrill and digital)
- takes too long to read CD TOC
- does not read CDRs

However it is perfect for movies and it does what I bought it for perfectly ! What more could I ask ?

Submitted by florin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am happy with this machine and I would recommend it to anyone looking for simplicity combined with very good quality regarding picture and sound. The video section is excellent whilst the audio section is excellent for movies, on the cd section only the dedicated more expensive players doing a better job, at least this is my opinion. The player has as well almost all the necessary connections we may expect for such a machine nowadays. The single complaint would be related to the noise of the tray during playback (this is audible in low volume passages only and if the machine is enough close to the listener) and maybe to the fact that some features can be controled only with the remote (in case remote is gone you may spend some more to replace it). Good idea with number PI helping to change the zone (free zone in this country is about additional USD 50-100).

Purchased At:   local shop

Submitted by FERNANDO AREVALO a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2001

Bottom Line:

I compared it to about 7 other similar products from Sony to Nakamichi, Toshiba, phillips...

I only knew of excellent sound this brand used to deliver, but when I was looking for a DVD player I could never imagine I would end up buying this one.

My first intention was to buy a slim cased new Sony DVD player, but I got so impressed with the HK-1 picture... Lines where neat and clear. Contrast was amazing. Black excellent. Colors very natural.

Not zoom and that kind of gadgets that one may use once or twice in 5 years... HK-1 is very simple. Just the basic things, but really mastered. Great value.