Denon DVM-3700
Description: 5 Disc Carousel DVD/CD Changer - 10 bit, 27 MHz Video D/A conversion - Selectable 24 bit, 96 kHz PCM output pass-through capability - Alpha 24 bit DSP audio processing - 2 composite, 2 "S", 1 set component video outputs - HDCD decoding - Optical and coaxial digital outputs - 24 bit, 96 kHz D/A conversion, featuring Burr-Brown PCM-1704 DACs (1 per channel)

Submitted by Super Dave Oz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought this used with a few blemishes at a rummage sale with a bunch of other Denon gear (apparently pulled out of a house for a audio/video refresh). Of the 28 I spent on it all (6 or 7 pieces), $3 was spent on this unit so as can be imagined this value is high to me. Plugged it and other pieces in (pulling my old Sony crap into storage, and eventually to recycling center) and they just worked fine. Used 100% for audio so far, can't comment on DVD features or controller (missing in action), or controlling other units like a 100 changer. But can comment that most standard CDs play just fine as I don't have HDCD. The unit apparently doesn't do SACD/XRCD, but seems to have a 24/96 decoder for the higher def audio on the DVDs (again, haven't tried it so no comment).

I have these hooked up to a $8 Denon AVR-3805 from same purchase (5-7 channels at 100+ watts with 8 ohm, and 120+ on same with 6 ohm) driving some ADS L1590/2 (got for free), and some less than 1 dollar CDs (all classical). Makes for a simple cheap usable sound system, albeit old and rather ugly to the significant other, very easy listening to me. Total value, very high to me, total cost very low, total reliability very high.

Submitted by Varick a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2014

Bottom Line:
I never understood the following of Denon. EVERY SINGLE STEREO COMPONENT I HAVE EVER HAD has broken down within 3 years. Some breaks were very minor, and others were major. I had an amplifier years ago that I spent more than $1,500 and within 3 years the left channel no longer worked. Had it fixed, and within another year the right channel didn't work.

This is my second Denon 5 disc changer I've owned and the first part I hated was that I could not play a burned disc on it. Then, if you had an audio or any other kind of DVD that had the SLIGHTEST up grade to it whether it be audio or video, it couldn't read it. God forbid I try to play an SACD, it has NO IDEA what to do with that.

Now, I have to nudge the tray to close when I hit the close button (I've had to do that for the past 3 years) and I just purchased a brand new REGULAR CD from EMI. "NO PLAY" is all I get. I continue to get this on many other REGULAR FACTORY/RECORD COMPANY CD's more and more frequently.

I've had it. I will NEVER EVER buy another Denon product again. They are overpriced pieces of garbage. I thought after the first CD, "OK, I got a lemon. You can't keep getting great reviews if all your components last like this." So, like an idiot, I gave them another chance. Same thing with the Amp, and now this is the final straw.

I am now going to take this to a field and re-enact the scene from "Office Space" where they take a baseball bat to the copy machine. That is the ONLY thing Denon products are good for: Destruction.

Submitted by centralflorida a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
This unit has always sound great and had an excellent picture. The picture started messing up, similar to the horizontal hold being stuck. This has gotten progressivly worse, until you can't watch a movie at all.

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by epbtad277 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
First let me say that when this player worked it was unbelievable. I bought this refurbished by Denon with a 90 day warranty. It seemed like a good deal with the 1200.00 list. Similar problems as other reviews such as skipping in the middle of play or stopping, no cdr/rw, and unorganized remote. All was fine till this last week. An hour into a DVD it goes schizo with ditigal bars all over the picture and intermittent sound. Shi# canned it and bought a new phillips with progressive scan, not the same but works.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Sethx3000 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
this is a follow-up to a review i wrote about 2 years ago when i first purchased my DVM-3700. over the past 2 years it started with the unit skipping to the next disk in the middle of a movie. in the begining it was a rare thing for the unit to skip to the next movie but became worst as time went on. now it has problems recognizing the dvd's even new ones. a message keeps poping up saying "unit cannot play this type of disk,insert another disk." even though it's played the disk in the past with no problems.i've used a dvd lens cleaner and the unit is unlocked to play all ratings of dvd's. and yes i've even tried to initialize the unit a number of times and nothing helps. the unit has a 3 year extended warranty i purchased at Tweeter and will be going back tomorrow. so for those of you who are already experiencing the skip to the next movie syndrom in the middle of the movie you are already watching,get your unit to the shop before it's too late. if you didn't purchase an extended warranty as i did you have about a year before the denon's run out. and thats where it all started about a year ago with the unit skipping to the next movie and it's been going down hill ever since.

Purchased At:   Tweeter