Denon DVD-2800
Description: Progressive Scan DVD Player

Submitted by voleem a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am sorry to report that this DVD player has broke on me. I've had it for about a year and a half. The DVD player fails to power up after turning it on. You can hear the relay click and hear the cd tray spool up - but no display.

I took it in to be repaired. Found out today that it will cost about $230.00. The technician said the ICC chip needs to be replaced. I have no idea what he is talking about.

I contacted Denon via e-mail about 3 weeks ago. I still haven't heard anything from them.

I work for a company that manufactures PCI communication cards. And let me tell you when it comes to support you have the whole company behind you. We reply to customer complaints and will admit to product/component failures. You'll get a new card for free with shipping included.

The DVD player has excellent Audio/Video performance. But I have to say this is the first time I've ever had a problem with an electronic component.

You do truly pay more for better - but honestly you have to ask yourself is it worth spending this much money and having it break(on its own) a year and a half later.

I bought a cheap $89.00 DVD player from Target. Its a progressive scan Phillips model and to be very honest for the money its incredible. Sure there is more detail and the audio is much better on the Denon - but that DVD player was 6 X the price of this Phillips model.

Is it really worth it?

I'm just very angry with Denon and there support department. Actually lack of.

Very frustrating. Ask yourself if its really worth paying this much for a DVD player.

Caution - you wont get any help from Denon. The phone number at there web-site is incorrect and has been that way for quite some time. They apparently aren't interested in ohone calls for technical support.

Buy at your own risk and good luck to you all. I am an Audio enthusiast - but I have to ask myself if I will ever buy another product from Denon again.

There policy on buying Denon products on-line voids the warranty is rediculous also. Like they actually care to cover you after the purchase. What a joke.

I am giving it a 1 star for value and a 3 star for over all rating. If this happens down the road again and more money comes out of pocket I will nock it down even more.

Thanks Denon!

Submitted by dynracer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I don't see how this DVD player can get a bad review. I've had mine for almost two years now and I haven't had the first problem. The picture it produces just seems to be getting better everytime I watch a movie. I'm using bettercables component cables and my TV is a Mitsubishi WT-4609. There must be just a few lemons mixed in the bunch. I urge anyone looking for an awesome DVD player, go to audiogon right now and buy you an used one for around $380, what a deal.

Purchased At:   local denon dealer

Submitted by mththm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
after i bought the receiver denon avr 5800 i was so amazed that i decided to go for the 2800 dvd /hdcd player sure i will find the same high quality... this was a disaster.after 3 monthes the 2800 refuses to load anymore musical cd...and i bough a lot of hdcd...
the 2800 has sometimes difficulties to load some dvd.nevertheless i use it for playing dvd on my 65" toshiba hdtv on component video mode with excellent cables.the performance is not outstanding and honestly you can ask yourself about the so called "progressive scan"
this is not worth the money as i have another ordinary dvd player since 3 years who gives the same performance without never failing....
i would like to know what is today an excellent progressive scan dvd/hdcd player at reasonnable price???

Submitted by Pants a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well what can I say, it is well built, very solid feel. Very big unit compared to a lot of DVD's on the market now, so make sure you have the room under your TV or in the hifi cabinet! I thought buying a Denon meant buying the highest quality, how wrong could I have been!!!!!

Submitted by Tony Davison a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Overall slightly dissapointed.

Judging by magazine reveiws this machine was the answer.

Well I had it a month and it stopped playing audio CD's.No, Not the the home made half baked unreliable variety..the full paid up monty! So it went back to Denon. A month later its back with a new laser no less.

It Still takes ages to load any disc, but plays Cds again. On a good note it does this as well as any CD player I've heard.

So whats the big deal on progressive scan? If i enable progressive scan I get a nice blue LED, a sharp picture but the audio goes out of sync with the picture! What use is that? Oh, but hang on were introducing PAL progressive sync soon..oh whoopie do.... I cant wait, its still out of sync!

So, in basic pal mode it works ok. The picture's generally good, but on some DVD's there are very visible artifacts. Lines, dots, glitches pauses...all the usual crap from anything thats digitally compressed.

The remote is horrible, slow and clumsy.
The machine is too big, and the operators manual is hard going.

Strange how the MkII is so different the MKI cannot be upgraded. Perhaps its a completely different player!

Purchased At:   Ipswich