Yamaha CDC 506 Multiple CD Players

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

- Carousel-type changer with 5-disc capacity.
- Features Yamaha's patented PlayXchange that permits four discs to be replaced while the fifth is playing.
- Plays CD-R and CD-RW disc.
- 40-track programmability for easy and quick access.
- 10-key direct access allows users to access each track at the touch of a button.
- Intelligent digital servo system automatically adjusts tracking, focus, and motor speed to compensate for disc defects and dust.

Submitted by Johnny5 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
I had purchased this cd player on the assumption that it would match well with my Yamaha RX-V530. I was pleased with the fact that it had an optical output. Initially I was pleased with the performance. However, the cd player each and every time seems to systematically break down approxiamately 3 or 4 months after use. I have gone through 5...yes 5 players in the last 2 years and to be honest, I am sick of it. Usually the problems begin after I have played my second or third cd back to back on it. Ventilation is not a problem so I know thats not a factor. It starts by skipping. First just a little, and then it will get progressively worse to the point you have to stop listening to your cd. Give it a days break and you hope the problem has gone away. But, use the player the next day and this time the skipping will begin sooner. It will stop for awhile if you give it a break but, is this any way to do things? NO. The first three times I had to take it in under warranty. Each time I had to wait no less than a week to get it back. The fourth time it crapped out I insisted on a new one. This fifth unit I have had for 2 months now and no problem..yet, but then again, the 3rd and 4th month is just around the corner and I'm sure this player won't dissapoint me and will start skipping also. I do not reccommend this player to anyone unless you love a good crap shoot. So far I am on the extreme loosing end. If you buy one, good luck to you.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by Tim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
The machine is not as I expected as with the HTR 5450 receiver. I have logic problems already developing in the time I have use it.

Purchased At:   discount magazene

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
This CD player is a great value and overall pretty remarkable for mass produced electronics. It compares to some high end players I have had in the past. I use the optical interconnect output coupled to my Yamaha 5450 receiver which is another mass produced gem. The sound is great. I have used the onboard DAC when using wire interconnects and also get good sound. Try this player first before paying more for something else. The sound is warm and clear. Not thin with a lot of treble like other products.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Hockeyfan6781 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my first Yamaha cd player, and I got exactly what you would expect from a yamaha. Great clean sound!!! PlayXchange is a nice touch, the digital optical output is also nice. Seems to mate well with my Yamaha HTR-5450 reciever. my only complaint is the cheap remote, luckily i'm able to uses the htr-5450's remote for it..

Purchased At:   Sears (Price Match)

Submitted by Andrew Minter a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
overall, this is a well designed cd changer. sound and clarity is among the best. plays cds that are semi-damaged. if this is a cd player you are looking at, i would recommend it over sony or pioneer.

Purchased At:   Best Buy