Technics SL-PD6 Multiple CD Players

2.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $129.00

Panasonic introduces a five-disc CD changer that will not only give users hours of uninterrupted digital music, but will let them create customized digital recordings with no loss in quality. Equipped with optical digital outputs, model SL-PD6 is poised for the future of home recording. When editing to another digital audio format, to make your own "greatest hits" collection, for example, this optical link ensures a pure signal transfer devoid of electrical noise. The changer's optical outputs can also be used to get the most out of a growing number of DTS (Digital Theatre Sound)-encoded CDs when connected to an optional DTS decoder, such as Panasonic's SH-AC500D, or the SA-DX930 receiver with built-in decoder. The new changer uses bi-directional, carousel-style platters, permitting a speedy disc change time of seven seconds. With Panasonic's "Play One, Change Four" design, users can replace any disc, except the one that's playing.

Submitted by craneyaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
In my experience Technics SL-PD6 gives a lot of electrical power and really efficient in producing loud sound. But this sound is metal rocketing disfuguration which is hard really hard to enjoy for someone who experienced a smoothiness and lovely mahagony of sweet melodies. How come flute and violin start producing sound similar to the one producing with the iron running along glass? How come the bass which used to be so warm, and punchy turned to be so cold, so metal edgy, so abrupt? Any shock, and bounce causes skips within the music. The discs are not securely placed in the slot which increases the chance of their damaging. One thing to say, if you are audophile like me, strongly yes, strongly suggest you to regard Technics SL-PD6 as a junk audio equipment. I bought it for less than $100.00, but I feel sorry that I did it. There are many CD-players which outshines Technics SL-PD6 and one of them is Tivoli CD player.

Submitted by superfastkyle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the SL-PD887. I'm pretty sure its almost the same as this. This thing keeps working great after 15 years and countless hours! I have never had an "audiophile" cd player but this is noticeable better sounding than any dvd player when playing cd's. Including using my Integra receiver's built in DAC. I had a sony 5 disc carousel before this one and I took it back right away the gears were leaving plastic shavings everywhere. The only downside is this cd player has always skipped easily with any bump. But the sound is amazing and I don't doubt it will work another 15 years. I remember reading an article where they let cd players play in repeat and a panasonic was the only one working after a year. So they seem to be great player

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Do not buy Technics/Panasonic! I recently bought a Technics CD player and it broke in under 6 months. The repair experience I’ve had has been the worst imaginable. Technics/Panasonic has been giving me the run around. The repair shop they use in New York City (Advisory TV and Radio) has twice told me they fixed the unit when they have not. And Panasonic/Technics refuses to do anything about it. I’ve never had such a bad experience with a product in my life. Trust me, you do not want to have to deal with a Technics/Panasonic product. You’ll save yourself a lot of trouble.