Sony RCD-W500C Multiple CD Players

3.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $248.00

• 5-CD changer + 1-CD-R/RW recorder
  • plays CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs; records to audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs
  • internal high-speed dubbing (4X)
  • Super Bit Mapping improves sound quality on recordings from analog sources
  • high-speed finalizing
  • CD Text entry for CD-Rs & CD-RWs
  • optical digital input/output
  • analog input/output
  • 24-track programming, repeat, and random play
  • remote control
  • headphone jack with volume control
  • SCMS (Serial Copy Management System)
  • CD playback signal-to-noise ratio 100 dB
  • 16-15/16"W x 4-1/4"H x 16-7/8"D

Submitted by John a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought a used Sony RCD-W500C in terrific condition to replace a Philips CDR880.

I could not be more pleased with the RCD-W500C. It sounds better than the Philips CDR800 and the W500C's MAKE DISC function makes (legally) duplicating CDs fast and easy. It could be more visually elegant in its control layout, but otherwise it's an excellent CD recorder and a surprisingly decent player. The SBM for analogue recording and it's other features are just more to praise. A definite winner in design and usage from Sony for those people who record a lot of CDs but don't want to spend the money on a pro unit.

It is worth noting that it also adds proper control over automatic track marking which was sorely lacking in the RCD-W1.

Submitted by ca10452 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
Sorry to say this machine SUCKS! STAY AWAY! I've had nothing but headaches and re-do's. I get error message after error message. I've changed CD's to record on and I get the same result! If you are wanting to use the equipment to just play CD's, fine. But if you want to use it what it's designed to do, forget it! It won't consistently record. You will go through cases of CD's just trying to get it to Finalize properly. Total garbage! Invest your money in something other than this piece of crap!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by William D. Wright a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am sending a warning out to those who may be considering this unit: DO YOUR HOMEWORK and read the reviews for ANYTHING you might consider, but especially this unit. I am currently on my THIRD deck of this model (which was a replacement for the far superior RCDW1) becasuse of TOC errors on brand new discs-esp. TDK Music-and errors of C-13 and C-14. The operation manual is no help with very limited information on any subject concerning the unit, and is no help concerning these error reports at all. According to Sony Repair in Laredo TX. it's my discs I'm feeding the machine. Because the discs aren't Sony's own, there's a chance they won't work. Pure bogus nonsense here. Any discs branded the right way (with digital audio recording in the logo on the pack should work, but no! they don't. Maybe TDK is right and the batch I'm using is defective, but I doubt that seriously since they do work in my MacBook Pro Laptop (take that Sony!).
This is the first ever Sony product that has truly caused me hurt and pain in recording. I've used a number of Sony products for over thirty years including pro gear, but this model really gives the company a black eye. I feel obligated to let those unsuspecting folks who might be experiencing the same problems know that they are not alone and maybe it's time we all need to gang up on the once proud company called Sony and demand that this model be withdrawn, redesigned and built properly-so it runs at least ten years. It really gives me grief to have to write a truly bad review about a company product that should not have gone this route at all. A truly sad model from the inventor of digital audio!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by danny metoyer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
WOW! Had this in the box for a little over a year and decided to experiment with the Recorder! OUTSTANDING! Just what I needed! I'm a casual songwriter with outdated "cassette" recording equipment into which recorded again onto cassette tapes. Took a recorded cassette tape of mine and analogly recorded it upon a CD-R. This machine automaticallly digitally re-recorded and self mixed the control levels of my "demo" and gave the recording an enhanced sound quite comparibly to mastering without the high cost!

Many other quality features too on this unit as mentioned before by other's!

I'm so amazed I'm going to buy another one just to have as a back up!

Purchased At:   Fry's

Submitted by Thunder-Pig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
I hadn't set out to buy the Sony RCD-W500C CD changer/recorder, (or any other)but I'm glad I did. I normally make music CDs on my computer with good results, so I really wasn't looking for a recorder at all. I was however, looking to replace my aging single CD player in my home stereo with a multi-disc changer. This Sony was on clearance sale for the same or lower price than many units that were changers only, so I bought it. Not until after I got it home, did I begin to understand the capabilities of this machine. First of all, it's big and heavy. I like that. I'm suspicious of gear that feels flimsy, no matter how stunning specs it may have. As a CD player/changer, it played every kind of disk I fed it, though an MP3 disk I made on PC with Cakewalk PYRO was a tad hissy. To me, the real trick for this machine is it's recording capabilities. I expected it could copy direct from source CD to CD-R, which it easily does, but I had no idea it could record analog audio direct to CD-R. I've been exploring this feature the most. I've copied DVD audio from concert DVDs to CD-R, I used a signal generator on my PC to record a calibration CD that matches my equalizers, I recorded analog audio from my PC of MP3s modified with winamp plug-ins, I copied VCR audio to CD-R, I recorded 2-track audio of my friend playing guitar straight from his mixer, and just for kicks, I recorded a few phone calls to CD-R, just because I could. The only things I didn't like are the confusing copy protection rules and the headphone amp output seems kinda low (using AKG 240M phones). Also, the manual could have been better.

Purchased At:   Fry's