Onkyo DX C380 6 Disc CD Changer
Description: If you like music, and a lot of it, this 6-CD changer was made for you. It lets you change up to five discs during play, ""cue up"" the next song you want to hear without interrupting the song playing, and make up to 40-track programs. And since the DX-C380 is loaded with many of the same features found in Onkyos high-end single CD players, like a high-quality single-bit D/A converter, 8X oversampling, and Onkyos exclusive jitter-eliminating AccuPulse quartz system, youll get all of your music delivered in phenomenal detail and clarity.

Submitted by Demort71 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
This is the first piece of Onkyo equipment I have ever owned and my initial reaction is one of pleasure. During the past year I have started to collect vintage stereo equipment from the late 70s through the 1990s. I am not into vinyl and prefer the sound quality of CDs vs. messing around with worn, scratchy LPs, needles and cartridges. I have older Technics and Sony 5 disc CD players, as well as this recently purchased Onkyo. It operates quieter than both of these players.

For $20 plus $14 shipping, I think I made a great eBay score! I have only briefly listened to this CD player at low volume for a few minutes, but I immediately recognized the superior sound quality over my two older CD players that this more modern Onkyo has (which was made in 2001 according to the tag on the back of the unit). Sure, I will keep the older players, but I will appreciate this Onkyo for its superior reproduction. It is clean and the dynamics are greater than the old reliable Tech. and Sony players.

I currently have three vintage receivers that I run: A Sansui G3500 Pure Power, Pioneer SX780 and Pioneer SX3700. The Onkyo is on the SX3700 right now, which was made 1980-1982. Of the three receivers I own, this receiver has the lowest THD distortion rating of .02%. That is very clean for a receiver of that time frame and is below what you can hear. The two Pioneers are rated at 90W total while the Sansui is rated at 54W total. The SX3700 was playing through a pair of DCM 6 ohm CX-27 speakers, which I bought new in 1993.

I might try out the Onkyo with the other two receivers, especially the Sansui, which is hooked up to a pair of Klipsch KG4 speakers made in 1984. They have a more dramatic and fuller sound than the DCMs (as well as a larger cabinet and a huge horn tweeter and an extra driver over the DCMs). I would say the two the speakers are similar in the basic quality of their reproduction capabilities and clarity, but the Klipsch's presence is far superior overall. I like the Klipsch the best.

At any rate I am pleased with this 11 year-old CD player which seems to have survived the test of time and still plays well. That is something that you can't say for a lot of newer, modern stereo equipment. Too much of it is use it for a few years and toss it out and go buy more. That is the great thing about older equipment, it can be repaired and once properly refurbished will deliver quality sound and entertainment for you again. I hope to put many more miles on this Onkyo! My initial impression is Kaching! I did well.

Submitted by tullymars a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have owned this player for about two years now,and I have to say its a great player for $200!I compare it with my $700 MusicHall,and I have to say it holds its own,and not a problem in two years.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by gonefishin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Only 6 CD changer I am aware of. Great sound. Smooth highs and rich bass. I have seen other users complaining about not being able to see the display. I wear trifocals and can still see the display so I can not find fault there. Changer is very quiet and reasonable quick.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Yaohui a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am currently in high school, and I bought a system few months ago, which consisted of a Onkyo TX-SR500 receiver(referb),a Onkyo DX-C380(referb), Monster Cable digital fiber optic, Monster Cable XPHP speaker cable, and a pair of Polk R30 speaker.This system oringinally cost over $1000, but I get it luckly for under $500.My father has been around hi-fi for more than 20 years, and he said this CD changer sound very smooth in high and mid range sound, tight and strong in bass compare to other low end cd players. For under $100, I think this CD changer is really the best.

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by Gunnm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got this Onkyo player because I wanted to be able to throw in a wide variety of music and just let it play through. The 50 disc+ players always are slow and end up a mess, so I opted for the unusual 6-disc Onkyo. It isn't perfect but it is definitely a nice unit. The size is oddly enormous. I'd used a Harmon Kardon player previously and it was much smaller overall. The extra disc should make it a little bigger, but it's so tall and very deep. Not a bad thing, but I'd prefer something more svelte. The display is a little dificult to read at a distance, but I've never found it problematic. The time, track number, and disc are all easy enough for me to see and I don't pay much attention to the random settings, etc. It is a little loud when switching dics, although I personally expect that from experience. While playing, it is completely silent. It's a beautiful thing! I have an otherwise great Yamaha mini system that I used to run the Onkyo through so I could get the great sound and the silent play. Another feature that I love is the ultra quick and smooth scanning in music. I often listen to short music clips to pick up the music to play on guitar and this Onkyo is as tight as any other format.