Perpetual Technologies P-1A DACs

4.11/5 (44 Reviews) MSRP : $950.00

Digital Correction System

Submitted by ecclezia a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought a complete set comprising the P-1A, Signature 1 P-3A and MS P3b power supply new from av123. I later bought Revelation Audio Labs I2S cables and power supply links as well. At the time, a Jadis JD-3 Drive was used as transport, feeding the P-1A via a DH Labs Silver Sonic coax digital cable. I ran the PT combo in 24/96 mode most of the time, doing the upsampling in the P-1A, thus employing the P-3A as a straight-through DAC.

My initial impressions were quite positive. Compared with playback from the Jadis (which employs a 1-bit processor),I perceived a wider (but not really deeper) soundstage, less glare in the highs and upper-mids and slightly more fullness in the bottom end. I did not sense any real increase in resolution (despite the claims of Resolution Enhancement) but overall the sound was noticeably less "digital" with the PT combo in service than without. For short time, I was forced to use the P-3A alone when the P-1A was sent back to PT to rectify a sudden and unexplained loss of signal strength. To be honest, I could not discern any significant difference with or without the P-1A, other than the fact that with the P-1A in the chain, the level was reduced considerably (by 6dB, I read somewhere).

The upshot is that while the PT combo does not, in my view, degrade the signal substantially, they do not enhance the sound very much at all. The most noticeable effect is the reeduction in signal level with the P-1A in the chain. Other than that, the marginal changes to the sound were only discernable if you listened critically (wider soundstage, lower glare). All in, I did not think the units lived up to their lofty reputations.

Two years after I bought the PT combo, I had the opportunity to pick up a pre-owned Krell KPS-20i. This unit runs 20-bit proprietary reconstructive software and employs 16x upsampling to 705.6 kHz. The Krell was a revelation. It had pace, grace and bass in spades and truly showed up the Jadis/PT system as distant seconds. The Jadis and PT units are now gone.

Purchased At:   av123.com

Submitted by Sam Rico a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
For all those looking into upgrading their p tech setups here's a list of some available upgrades:
Power supply:
12vdc high amp switching power supply for p1, Monolithic power supply for P1 and P3, Dan wrights monolithic power supply upgrade, upgraded cable for power lines from monolithic power supply to the p1 and p3
P1: ModHi-Fi capacitor upgrade, 192khs chip upgrade (when available)
P3: ModHi-Fi op-amp upgrade (ok), Dan wright stage 1 upgrade (better), Dan Wright stage 2 upgrade (best)
I2s: Audio Magic Mystic I2s cable.
These units seem to respond well to upgrades, no wonder there are so many available. how does it sound you ask? read annother review besides this one :) I wonder in an A/B test how different a fully upgraded p tech combo would sound compared to a stock setup. it seems to me people are reviewing entirely different setups and configurations with all upgrades and setting combinations it's no wonder some people love these things and some peopel hate them.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by daniel-SF-USA a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got the p1a/p3a duo, used, purchased from a seller on this website. At first, I just plugged it into my modest starter system, quite uncertain if I would hear any difference, given the fact that I had done no other upgrades yet. Well, even with my old JVC rcvr the increased quality was striking. All cd's sounded like the more specialized 20-bit/24-bit remasterings in both classical & jazz music. Less distortion, of even the more intangible kinds where you can't hear any direct distortion problem but still feel that something is hanging there, between you and the music. Then I got my upgrades going. Full range definitive technology speakers, bp10 rear surround, bp20 front. bryston power amps on all channels. these units finally let me just sit back and get lost in the music. As it happens, because of the digital coax cable, the units also process the front two channels of movie dvds. WOW, who knew dts or dolby could sound so good? Yeah I bet you can spend even more, in fact way way more;but the law of diminishing returns suggests to me that these units are a really great place to start moving beyond off-the-shelf consumer mid-fi electronics. Given how great the units sound now, future power supply upgrades will only make them sound that much better. So it's nice to know you can get started, and then continue upgrading piece by piece, level by level. Who knew cd's could sound this much better?

Purchased At:   Private Seller (used

Submitted by Mario a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Where do I begen, it started with the purchase of the P3a Dac when it initially debuted. The 3a replaced my Adcom 600 Dac; I imedietly noticed a huge diffrence in resolution and musicality never heard from my system. Jump two years latter, I decided to pair the 3a with the 1a. Boy was I in for a bad surprise. The openess and resolution decrease and was very noticeable. I initialy connected the PT units with a Wydeye AES/EBU cable, I was not happy with the results, I then tried the stock I2S cable that came with the 3a-Strike 2, not much of a diffrence. Reading the professional reviews availiabe and heeding the advise of one Audiophile writing in this venue...I went to the local electronics surplus store and bought a switching power supply($29.00)-12VDC rated at 2.0A, and held my breath when I connected it. Wonderful describes the diffrence in sound when the 1a was fed its required power. Moreover, I upgraded the stock I2S cable and bought the Revelation Audio Lab Siver ($90.00) and was amazed at the detail, sound and dynamics brought forth by this upgrade. I am very happy with the PT products in tandam; together they outmatch CD players costing 2 to 3 times the price of the 1 & 3. The P1a and 3a together with the additional tweeks make this a steller buy.
Sound System:
Esoteric P-10 transport
Sonic Frontiers Line 1 PreAmp
Audio Research D115 MII Amp
Hales Rev 2 Speakers
Soler stainless steel speaker cones
Audio Power 116 conditioner
vibropods

Purchased At:   auction

Submitted by James Delaney a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Some people like the sound of the P-1 while others don't i figure it's the same for tube amps and so forth... some would rather have tons of detail while others would rather have smother sound (and therefore a P-1) Regardless if you like the P-1 or not it's pretty unanimous that the P-3 is an all around great performer... not to mention that you can get the output stage of yoru P-3 upgraded at modhi-fi.com for only 95 bucks. I've tried it and it makes for a much smother sounding unit with EVEN MORE DETAIL so if you regardless if you prefer smoothness or detail you get both and for 95 bucks it's a steal. The P-3 is a great unit regardless with it's 140 db signal to noise ratio it's a truly ground breaking unit

Purchased At:   online