Musical Design DAC-1 DACs

Is silver face w/manual , box like new one year old

Submitted by Jim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I know...With the list of processors listed above, what am I doing reviewing a 1200.00 DAC that is single ended only and not even a full component size piece of gear to boot?!
Well, to be honest, I am an audiophile who has been around the block too often... I have bought into the "latest and greatest" one too many times and finally I'm reporting on a piece of gear that performs well beyond it's price point. I had settled into a rut feeling that all I seemed to be getting for my extra thousands was name brand recognition(status?), and fance boxes, metal remotes and so on. I trashed the entire system and moved back into tubes and kept a Classe C.D. player which, to my ears, sounded vibrant and lifelike at a fraction of the cost of the two box setups I was accustomed to. I added the Musical Design DAC 1A-20 processor and was amazed at how much more dynamic the sound was and how the musical interpretation of the unit seemed to be much more analog and relaxed, yet dynamic when it needed to be. Maybe my ears have been around too long, but this 20 bit unit sounded less sterile and dry than the potential 24 bit rendering of the Wadia. I am pleased and don't stress out with my system the way I used to.(You all know what I mean!)I am just sitting back and enjoying the music for a change.

Sennheiser: