MSB Technology Link DAC DACs

4.54/5 (76 Reviews) MSRP : $295.00

24 bit d/a

Submitted by Ong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have bought the Nelson Link DAC III recently. Show a marked improvement over my Toshiba DVD-Audio player, even when playing DVD-A titles. I played the Fourplay album on DVD-A which in theory should be samling at least 24bit/96 to 24bit/192 but the MSB simply outshine the DVD-Audio format consistently. Anyone know why? Well anyway, the DAC is hell of a great value.

Purchased At:   Ong Radio

Submitted by B Lantto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Definate improvement over my Panasonic DVD players internal dac.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Johnny B a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
First of all, I enjoy my Link III (Full Nelson) and it was a noticible improvement on my system. The improvement was not as significant as other component changes I have made in the past but I think you must accept the fact that the better your system gets, the harder (and usually more costly) it is to make it better.

The main reason I am writing this review is not to praise the Link III (I think it is obvious that owners of this product like it a lot) but rather to address several reviewers' complaints that the MSB Link 3 somehow eliminates or "filters" high frequencies. I think I know what they are referring and it should be addressed:

I have noticed the problem when the MSB automatically switches between digital inputs. I have my DVD player run through a digital coaxial cable and my CD player run through an optical(toslink) cable. When I turn the DVD player on, the MSB automatically takes the signal from the DVD player and not the CD player. Occasionally, when I turn off the DVD player and resume listening to music through my CD player, many of the high frequencies are gone. I believe the MSB Link 3 has not fully switched from one digital input to the other. This problem was also mentioned in a Stereophile review when the reviewer discusses one the inputs not working and then suddenly "snapping" into place. I believe this is a weakness of this product. I solve the problem by unplugging the DVD player and then turning off the CD player and then turning everything back on (it as not as painful as it sounds and the problem rarely occurs).

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by digital twist a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this based on reviews and recommendations and I am not dissapointed. I did a listening test at the store using various sources through Dynaudio Contour speakers and was continually impressed with the open, rythmic and detailed sound. The step up from my old Pioneer CD player is amazing!

As everyone else has stated there is absolutely no listening fatigue. It does not have the last bit of detail necessary for huge orchestral movements, such as the twin Apogees used in the studio where my brother in law directs recording sessions, but it certainly does a remarkable job.

For a lovely budget system I use it with a Panasonic RV31 as tranport.

Very important however to use the right interconnects! I was using Cardas Crosslink II but they totally eliminated the high frequencies! I now use a pair of Siltech based custom made cables that a local audio shop/studio producer sold me. These are truly fabulous. The sound is open, bass is extended and tight and soundstage is large, high and deep.

For those interessted my system is:
Panasonic RV31 as transport
Classe CAP 150 integrated amp
MSB Link III (base version)
JMLab Megane Carat speakers
Van Den Hull C122 speaker cable
Siltech based custom interconnects
UltraLink optical cable

Purchased At:   Codell

Submitted by Jim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is for the basic Link 3 without any upgrades or options. I had the chance to chat with a Marantz design engineer at a HIFI trade show and we discussed the SACD technology versus CD technology with upsampling. The discussion influenced my decision in not purchasing the LINK upsampling option. The upsampling option will add details and extend the high frequencies BUT you will receive a certain amount of exaggeration beyond what is really there. The basic LINK gives you the choice to bypass the analog filtering which help smooths out the sound of most systems that have a bright balance. If you already have a bright system and need this filtering to smooth out the details and brightness, why would you want to add upsampling to exaggerate the details again. The LINK configured without the filtering adds immediacy and dynamics to the sound just like MSB suggested. There is an instant sense of realism to the music that is simply unbelievable. The best description I can use is that it sounds almost like you went out and bought the DVD Audio or SACD version of your regular CD. Many times I have listened to a song from an AC-3 DVD and wishes my 2 channel system could have the clarity, depth and dynamics of the DVD track without the exaggerated details or brightness. With the LINK minus the analog filtering, I would say I am very close.

If you feel better getting bells and whistle with products that you buy, you should get the options and sleep better at night. But if you have a purist mentality, spend that extra money to improve the weak link in your system whether it be your amp, cables or speakers, then add the LINK minus filtering to your system. After all, the pursue of ultimate high end audio is to achieve neutrality in your sound.

My system:
Sim Audio I-5080 integrated amp
Sony ES90 CD player
JM Lab Cobalt 815 speakers
MIT 750 CVT II speaker cables
Kimber KCAG silver interconnects
Basic MSB Link 3

PS Audio Digital Link III or the DAC in my B&K Ref 50?

Hey all, I have been using my PS Audio Dac for decoding my 2 channel stuff (from there going into my B&K unit's DIRECT input via balanced cables). All sounds great. However, when wanting to play Dolby Digital content from my PC I have been having to pull the coax spdif cable out of the PS uni ... Read More »

PS audio Digital link III DAC?

Does any one have any experience with the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC? [url]http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PSDL3[/url] It sounds like it has a nice sound to it if your looking for a more analog sound. I've got a Van Alstine Hybrid DAC on order now that I sold my 840c. But ... Read More »

Atlantic Technology :