Monarchy Audio Digital Interface Processor DACs

4.47/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
I could probably make something up to explain what "jitter" is and what it means to your digital front-end, and then go on to elaborate about soundstage expansion, channel separation, enhanced dynamic range, bass punch, cymbal sizzle, etc, when you reduce jitter. I could also self-indulge and list all my audio gear, piece by piece. But then I'd sound like just another reviewer trying to impress the audioreview.com masses. Here's the bottom line: the Monarchy Audio DIP kicks butt.

I received this unit yesterday, and inserted it between my DAC and CD players (yes, it can accomodate one optical and one coaxial player simultaneously), and the result was both immediate and stunning. Passing through the DIP, my admittedly mid-fi CD players breathed new life into every CD I threw at them. Everything you've read below (the positive stuff, anyway) is true.

This review is for the original DIP (as pictured above). I actually like the 2-sided hook-up--power cord on one side and digital connections on the other--because when placed sideways in your rack it allows easier access to the toggle switch you need to flip when you go from optical to coax. The newer DIP Classic and 24/96 versions have all the connections in the rear of the unit, so you'd have to reach back and feel your way to the switch.

Easily, this is the best 100 bucks I've ever spent on my system. If this thing ever dies, I'll happily shell out the MSRP of $249 for the DIP Classic (the original is out of production) and still feel like it was a bargain. This is a must-have for anyone with a cheapo- to mid-level CD player and DAC who wants to experience what all the audiophiles do when they listen to their $5000 Audio Research or Krell CD "transports".

Submitted by frank77 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I put this unit in as a lark, figuring I would see no change whatsoever. I was wrong. What this unit does best is take off some digital edge and, in my case, refocus the soundstage. In fact I was having soundstage problems and the DIP somehow was able to fix it. Whereas before I had a strange left bias, with the DIP, the soundstage became more evenly spread and realistic. I hesitate to say 3-d, because the difference is not THAT extreme. Nevertheless, I completely expected this gear to be a crock, but in fact it made a far greater difference than cables ever have.

I don't claim to understand how it works, but I do know that it does.

Submitted by frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:

I don't claim to understand how it works, but I do know that it does.

Submitted by Mauricio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I own a system based on a NAD T761 receiver and Paradigm speakers (5.1) but my entry level JVC-DVD player is not a partner for them (even connected with the wonderfull DH Labs silversonic D75 coaxial cable). While I wait for a winner in the high definition format war(I think SACD will succeed) and prices to come down, both in SACDs and players, I decided to buy the DIP 48/96 Upsampler (wich merits his own page at this site) based on the only review that I found (original DIP extensivelly reviewed). I own it for 3 days (the best is yet to come). I noticed: an inmediate lowering of the noise floor; an increase in the volume of each instrument/voice; an astounding increase in articulation, definition and volume of bass (wich I beleaved would't be possible in my humble system); lots of detail in medium and high frequencies; more refinement in sounds and disparition of irritating "false brightness"; a sense of tightness and grip; better positioning of intruments and more sounstage.
Good recordings sound better but the most satisfiying improuvement, for me as an opera fan, is the marvelous gain in tonal richness, softening of edges and reduction of noise in my historical recordings! As with all great purchases I think "how could I live untill today without the DIP upsampler?" Don't upgrade your CD/DVD player, try the DIP 48/96 upsampler!

Purchased At:   microwise

Submitted by Ron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
Had expected more out of this 'tweak' than I got. My system is modest a Sony DVD/CD player circa 1998 (model 330, mid price at the time, with dual lasers), CAL Gamma DAC (circa 1998), Yamaha RXV-2092 reciever as preamp, Audio Source Amp 3, Polk RT12 speakers, and Velodyne HGS 10.

I find a little more smoothness using the Monarchy DIP and Gamma Dac as compared to running directly into the RXV-2092 internal DAC. The Sony has both optical and coaxial outputs so I can do A/B comparisons. I really had to listen hard to tell a difference. I look at this as a barely perceptible improvement in my system buy is not taking anything away. I can not rate the Monarchy DIP more than mediocre in my system. It will stay only because if I do change something else, maybe there will be an improvement.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor