DCS Delius
Description: dCS Delius - 24/192 - DSD D/A Converter <li>Sample rates: 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kS/s & DSD* <li>24 bit resolution <li>6 digital inputs <li>Sony DSD digital input via IEEE1394 interface (Optional*)

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I waited until I had used the Delius and Purcell for 6 months or so to post this review, primarily because I thought time would tone down my enthusiasm for these products. But, no, its true: this is the undiscovered country of digital reproduction. I promise you will not believe how holographic and real your CD collection will sound with these devices in your system. I use a VPI Aries/JMW arm combination with a Lyra Helikon cartridge and thought no digital could touch my analog rig for that heavy, solid, real image I get from my LPs. I also use a Sony SCD-1 SACD player as my transport and can say that, although the SACD sound can rival LPs (to me) on well recorded discs, the Delius/Purcell easily equals the SACD and, given the huge collection of CDs many of us own, is the clear choice in digital playback available today. I don't know why it works, but it does. Hey, I'm crazy about it, OK?

Submitted by Thomas a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
Delius + Purcell :

I wrote a review from a Goldmund Mimesis Transport, all you can read there, was made with this combo. Some general information: I am not a big friend of Digital, because all the years I listened at Demo's to the most expensive units ( ML, Krell, Wadia etc....) I always thought: ".............the sound is not worth the price ...........I don't hear what is so good with these units .....and so on " The dCS Demo was the first were I really thought, that the presentation is SO MUCH better than everything before I heard, that I invested more time with these units. The Delius alone ( DAC ) is very, very good. I think it is because they construct their own Processors. Believe me, I love Analog because it is much better when done right, and this unit is extremely good ( for Digital ). With the Purcell ( D/D Converter = Upsampling to 176,4 or 192 khz ) the Sun is rising. More high frequencies, more air, wide presentation and so on without the usual digital artifacts. A friend who listend to my combo went a few days later to someone else who wanted to sell a Wadia 860. After 5 minutes my friend asked the owner to stop the demo. It was total different, typical digital ............. I think upsampling alone is not the secret, it is the combination with their own electronics ( processors ......), because some other maufacturers offer 192 khz too, but they don't reach dCS. These are really unique. The main advantage with these is - the upgradability for the future based on software, DSD possible ( relatively cheap ) - millions of used CD's are out there and all can be listened dramatically improved. I can wait total relaxed for the future, I survived the HDCD hype, I will see what is going on with SACD or DVD-A, and when something is going on with these seriously I send my dCS units back for upgrade when new outputs ( firewire ) are necessary. It is like a premium record player: It doesn't get old

Submitted by Dan C a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you can't afford the dCS Elgar this is the one D/A converter to own. Period. 95% of the performance of the Elgar at a "cheaper" price. The Elgar is in a class by itself and the Delius is not that far behind. Combined with the Purcell this combo will make you want to listen to your whole CD collection all over again. I know I did. As I could not afford the Delius/Purcell combo I just purchased the Delius. But, even after the Purcell left the Delius continues to shine. This is a fantastic D/A converter.