Sony RCD-W3 CD Recorders/Players

• Records CD-Recordable and CD-ReWritable discs
  • Plays CD, CD-R, CD-RW
  • Dual deck with 4X high speed dubbing
  • One-Touch Synchro Start/Record
  • Optical digital input and output
  • Headphone jack with volume control
  • 32-Step Program play
  • 2-Mode Repeat play
  • Fluorescent display
  • Remote Commander remote control

Submitted by morfanos@piherusa.com a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
OK - I write this review to warn anybody who is looking at buying this particular Sony model. First off, after six months of use the unit broke and had to be sent to Sony to be fixed ( under warranty). After getting it back, it seemed to be fine until just recently when it broke again. After an hour and a half on the phone with Sony I found out my options were to send it to get fixed ( for a cost) or go with the exchange program ( which was about $220). I told Sony I would try a local repair house, and after they evaluated the unit they said the best option is the exchange program??? So - I buy the unit for $250 & less than two years later...I need to pay another $220 for a refurbished unit?? This is completely unacceptable. I thought that Sony used to be a quality product, but I'm so unhappy with this unit, that I'm looking at a completely different CDRW and I'll just call this one a waste of money. The product always seems to have little glitches - like not recognizing the tracks on a CD when you first put it into the burner. I even found that some discs would fail out for no reason, and this happened every now and then. I do wish Sony would stand by their product, but since they don't...your better off getting another brand if your in the market for a CD burner. I'm completely frustrated by the whole deal, and feel like I have purchased a really bad product. Stay away from these units at all costs!!!Don't waste your money on a Sony CD Burner. The only reason why I gave this unit one star is because there is no option on this review for ZERO Stars or negative Stars!!! I actually had to give it one star for a rating. But it really deserves ZERO STARS!! And Sony - as a company should be ashamed that they sell such lousy products!!!

Purchased At:   Tweeter Audio