Pioneer PDR W839 3 Disc CD Changer w CD Recorder CD Recorders/Players

2.89/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Record from one to three CDs onto your own personalized CD with this PDR-W839 CD recorder. Select the tracks you want to record and press the Copy Start button. Can't decide between a new CD changer and a CD recorder? Now you don't have to! Pioneer's PDR-W839 gives you the great deal of both worlds by combining a 3-disc CD changer with a single disc CD recorder, all in one chassis. Digital source synchro recording simplifies the recording process, and the built-in sampling rate converter allows direct recording from a wide variety of digital sources. You can even adjust the recording level during direct digital-to-digital dubbing, thanks to the Digital REC Volume, ensuring uniform output level on the CD-R/CD-RW.

Submitted by Ramon Cruz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Bottom Line:

I never have any problems with my PDR-839 for the last 8 years, the only trouble is availability of "Blank"(for consumer) disc.....can someone help or advise me of any alternative Blank Disc to use.Thank You

Submitted by redherring a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
Owned it for less than 2 years but used it infrequently, which may be why it lasted longer than it did for some others here. Have to agree with the others who said the changer mechanism is a total piece of junk. It always sounded clattery and took a long time to load, but finally it gave up the ghost entirely. After 3 cd's were loaded the drawer kept constantly going in and out about 1/4 inch and would not open all the way. Had to remove the case to retrieve the cd's (not easy), then plugged it in again and watched as it kept loudly cycling, unbidden, through its loading process for several minutes as if possessed, clattering cheaply all the time.
Tweeter quoted me its repair policy ($50 deposit, they only call you if the repair is over $170), which made me even more aggravated (this thing was probably never worth $170 in the first place), but then gave me an outstanding deal on a floor model Sony RCD-W10 ($110!!). Tweeter is now a-ok in my book, but this Pioneer is very disappointing.
I also must note that other than the one-button "Record This" function I never found the operation to be very intuitive, and I'm generally pretty good with such things.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by sdcsec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
As i have read today i have had the same problem with this unit, i had it exactly 1 wk over the Manufacturer's warrenty and it stopped playing disc's, i sent it back and after 1 month of phone call's etc got it back(no charge for work done)apparently the EPROM chip inside had erased itself!!!!
Mailed Pioneer and requested explaination as to how this can happen, i know that temperature variences and UV light can destroy these chips, both are not present in my living room, still no expaination.
Had the unit back 10 days and then tray started not opening, as descrobed by others on this site, opens about 1/4" and that's it in and out , can't do anything with it, so i will now have to send this back again, i am very very unimpressed with this pioneer product, i would advise anybody NOT TO BUY IT, get the Phillips one, my sister has this one and it's far better build quaility.
This is the first and last time i buy a Pioneer product( i expect better from such a branded name, seems they care more for making money over customer satifaction, they must have tested this product before being released, They obviously went for the cheapest mechanism going, i would rather have less features and better build quality at least we would be able to play some disc's.

Submitted by Bill a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have to agree wholeheartedly with Tom Fowler on this being a piece of junk. I purchased mine while living in Japan and had problems because I couldn't find the right medium to record on. After I returned to the states, I experienced, the exact same problems as Tom did. The CD changer making horrible noises and only opening up about 1/4-inch. I finally ended up taking it apart (past its warranty) and somehow fixed it so it would work. I have hated this machine since I bought it, but haven't been pushed to a point of replacing it.

Purchased At:   AAFES - Misawa Japan

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the Pioneer because I was tired of buying new cds for 13.99+. I was pleased with the unit for a couple of months until the tray mechanism got stuck. After sending it in I was again pleased with the unit hoping that the tray problem would be only a one time thing. However after about a month it again got stuck. I sent the unit in again under warranty, but after getting the unit back a second time I've discovered that the recorder no longer reads the left channel therefore the playing the cdr's in my car home only plays through the right speakers.

Also about 10 percent of the time I try to finalize the cd-r I would get a message saying there was an error.

Because I record most of the music through the radio I lose a couple of hours of hard work putting the cd together only to find that it won't work.

Furthermore the ease of use is very poor and the owners manual is sometimes hard to understand.

I could go on and on but you get the point.

MS 1400W: