Pioneer PD-R555RW CD Recorders/Players

3.59/5 (27 Reviews)

CD Recorder

Submitted by benji 1948 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Bottom Line:
Bloody good , the best cd recorder I ever had , now it's finished , they all get the same stupid failure: trays open and close , no recording , messages for checking this and that , i am electronics repairman and tryed to find what's wrong , and it's software problem , and what's more Pioneer don't help to solve it ! I guess it is more than a software problem it's inbuild selfdestruction after 10 years !
mine is practically like new burned more or less 100 cd's and that's it , laser is still in good nick all is like new , but nobody seems able to repair it and without Pioneers help forget it , no manuals , no backup , nothing .
I have the same trouble with another Pioneer product :a bloody expensive DVJ x1 that's a dvd VeeJay machine that costs 3000 £ or 4000 Eu .. silly doesnot even have a headphones outlet !! I sent message to Pioneer Japan , no reply !! I ask for software to play multiregion , IT IS A PROFFESIONAL unit you know ,and it's supposed to play EVERYTHING .. no reply ... forget Pioneer buy something else !

Purchased At:   Soundtrack gsy in 98

Submitted by masterarchive a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this recorder back in 1998 when it first came out (a hefty price tag). My purpose was to transfer vinyl to CD for re-mastering. What prompted me to purchase this was the "Recording" level control for fading out after recording. After a while, I've realize how good of quality this machine really was and started to appreciate it more and more. This machine works very well in conjunction with a professional unit (Marantz CDR631) that I mainly use for mastering and archive. Its got no problem reading poor quality discs either, where I can immediately transfer it to higher grade discs with my pro unit.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Mark W. Shannon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
This model was the first CD Burner I've owned, but took it back because the discs were $8.00 each, and got a computer burner with lower cost discs. This was in 1999. Just about a month ago I got this model back. It got a real nice fader feature on it, and seems easy to use. Remote layout is user-friendly. The recordings it makes are real great but louder then the Classic CDR-200. This machine is a champ!

Computer discs sounds bad???

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Tundra007 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
This unit Records & Plays great. This is one of the best units I have ever used! Sound Quality is Outstanding, I have recorded several CD's they all sound Great!

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by AndreHH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I own the unit since Okt. 1999. In the first year it's been back 3 times for repairs, because it froze in the middle of a recording. I'm not using it a lot now, as I now own also a double deck Philips 775. When I do use it it's fine, and the quality op the recordings are perfect.

Purchased At:   Block, Purmerend