Pioneer PD-R05 CD Recorders/Players

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

CD-Recorder

Submitted by Earl Griffith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've had this deck for a number fo years, bought from MARS Music on a Silent Auction for $50 over 8 yrs ago. Used to use it a lot for live recording, backed up by mini-disk - live multi-track mix-down signal right out of my Mackie 24 chan board. ALWAYS a great recording.
Pulled it out of storage for a wedding this weekend, where I won't be able to do post production - just hand the Bride's mother a CD aferwards & have to use my laptop for playback & PA system management. (Can;t multi-task too far ;-). I can't wait. This baby fired right up after at least 3 yrs on the shelf & ran a test CD JUST like the old days!
Pioneer really put the effort in this one. I'll be using it again for my live work. Luckily, CD-R Audio media is still kicking around. I'm a bit worried about SCMA, but expect taht in this day & age, most folks will be ripping the CD's to WMA, MP3 or AAC anyway. Luckily, I also found a user manual on-line in .pdf for $free.
Old things are NEW again!
Earl G. BarkhillSound.com

Submitted by mikejz84 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I had originally wanted to get a Pioneer PD-65, however I managed to find this little number on ebay and picked it up for cheap. This Cd-recorder is an audiophile secret! I manly use it for CD-playback and it does a great job! I had originally planed to just use it as a transport, however the internal DAC is better then the one in my receiver. The build quality is excellent and sounds better then any other CD player I have owned. Many of these go for under $150 on ebay--Yet I find it on par with $300+ used CD players.

I also have used it to record old family reel-to-reels to CD, for which it did a great job.

Submitted by mikejz84 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow! Patience has its virtues. Pioneer.com says this unit has a retail of $1970. I paid something like $270. It is a beast. I bought it originally to record LP's to CD's. What I did not expect was that it would become my reference CD player as well. It has a rock-solid stable platter mechanism -- imagine a turntable-like set-up to play CD's. It allegedly reduces jitter during playback and recording. Jitter = edginess, harshness, digital sound. I'll tell you what -- I inserted a Monarchy DIP anti-jitter filter just for kicks -- and I could not notice an improvement at all over the stock sound. This thing has boogying bass, clean highs, still can't touch the sweet sound of vinyl but it does a great job at digital. For $270 it is a world beater.

I also prefer the analog out on this thing more so than using the DACs in my NAD T700 (Burr Brown 18 bit DACs). Maybe it has better op-amp circuitry?? I noticed better bass and beter resolution of the little things. Audiophiles call it "air".

Purchased At:   savinglots.com

Submitted by TCH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
The unit has Pioneer's stable platter mechanism which supports the entire CD and provides for better data streaming due to fewer read and refocusing errors. The sound is wonderful and the recording quality is great. I suggest this be bought for a recorder or as a universal CD player. It will play CDs, cdrs, and CDRW's without a hitch. Check out ebay for used unts or pricescan.com to find new old stock at a great price.

SFLAT: