Philips CDR770 CD Recorders/Players

3.5/5 (16 Reviews)

Replacement for CDR760

Submitted by sailorboy010 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
Can anyone tell me HOW to record an audio Cd FROM a cassette player?

I have a MARANTZ cassette player and all the connections are OK but when I press record the CDR 770 stops after 20 seconds and I see then >. update < and the 770 stops.

WHAT do I do wrong? I want to make copies TO a valid CD, FROM old cassette tapes.

please help me and email me to: e.boswinkel34@chello.nl

THANKS! in advance!

Submitted by avole a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an update of my original review. After nearly two years of use, and having now burned over half of my LP collection, this unit is still working perfectly. Yes, I agree, it isn't really ideal for analogue sources since you have to record track by track, but quality is pretty good - and there's no tape hiss.

As with all CD recorders, the media you use does make a difference. Stick to high end brands and there won't be a problem, but try some supermarket specials n results become iffy, which translates as discs don't record. This isn't a Philips phenomenon - I work in the computer industry, and have long since learnt that cheap cds = no usable copies.

Purchased At:   Darty

Submitted by Rogowo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Befor I got a CD burner on my PC, I bought the Philips CDR 770 recorder, and I made the right choice. This product is great, I cand record a CD from any source (Phono, tape, radio...) After recording couple cd in manual mode the recorder started to finalize the disc and stop after few seconds, so I pressed the finalize button over and over again and it did not finalize the CD. I found this strange, because I always left about 5 minutes of space. I found out that the recorder did not want to finalize the cd, because it was on for so long and almost overheated, so I turned it of with the unfinalized cd inside. After about half hour I turned it on and tried to finalize the disc, it worked the first time. So I you are lisining to music on this recorder and then decide to record, allow the unit to cool off.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by angus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
The philips cdr 770 is a single tray unit with many features you would expect to find on more expensive recorders. You can control recording level and balance of analog and digital sources. The unit records in HQ-CD (20 bit), or regular 16 bit when copying a normal cd. It uses a 1 bit codec with 20 bit reading quality analog conversion. It has coaxial digital in/out, optical in, and analog in/out rca connections, and includes the coxial and analog cables. It has a remote.

The quality of the recordings is very good, although I am still biased towards high-speed reel to reel and phonograph. I use it for demo recordings with a microphone.

The SCMS copy protection has never been a problem. My analog (microphone) recordings are multi-generation copyable. I cannot speak for copies of CD's, since I only use the unit for original material.

Submitted by avole a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Ignore what the magazines say: unless someone's deliberately set out to do otherwise, digital recordings are going to sound the same from one manufacturer to another. Its a fact of digital life.

Unsurprisingly, then, the Philips CDR 770 produces perfect duplicates of CDs. The challenge is how it handles analogue, because I bought this machine to record my LPs, not CDs.

I'd have to say that recording separate tracks is a pain, but then, at least a Cd recorder can do this, whereas the old fashioned cassette can't. Otherwise, it's all up to the sound quality, and that, together with playback quality, is how I've rated this machine.

Firstly recording, and the bad news first: compared to the source, the Philips adds some bass. Not enough to be a problem, but enough to be noticeable. Given that this (unless you have better than a Linn Sondek)is a failing of many turntables, it's not so bad, especially since everything else is recorded faithfully. On the plus side, the Philips manages to capture the immediacy of the records, and that's no mean feat. It's a pleasure to hear the realistic decay of the LP, compared to what the average CD hands out.

As to playback, well, don't bother. Like most other recorders, playback is a weakness, and it's exacerbated by the slow transport mechanism. Out of curiosity I fed the Philips into my resident DAC, and it produced top class results, possibly better than those of my resident CD player. Obviously, then, there's no problem with quality of the transport, which is what you'd expect for one used in so many top flight players, but it's realisation is too slow here.

Overall, I'm more than happy with the results, and was convinced enough to splash out on a top range cartridge to do the recordings justice. If you only want to record CDs, look no further. If you want to record your LPs, then this machine will do the job, with the only caveat being that bass boost.

Incidentally, I had none of the problems described in other reviews.

Purchased At:   Darty