Philips CDR765 CD Recorders/Players

3.64/5 (22 Reviews)

Dual deck cd recorder and player

Submitted by hothcanada a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased the unit in 12-99. As of mid 2004, I can no longer use the system for recording, as it's horribly inconsistant & routinely craps-out before the copying is complete,(botching the cdr).
However, that's not to say that I've been overly disappointed with the product. In the last 5 years, my system has burned somewhere between 2500-2800 discs!!!

The bottom line is that it was a good system for it's time. The way cdr burning
technology for the pc has advanced in recent years, stand-alone units just don't cut it anymore.

The PhillipsCDR765 makes near-perfect copies. Basically whatever it's able to play on the right deck, it can copy on the left/recording deck.

It seems as though many of the users posting on this idem did not fully read their instruction manuel before getting into the copying aspect. This system DOES NOT ADD GAPS between tracks!!!!! Simply press the dub button twice before beginning to record ("dub 1" then
appears on the unit face) & your completed copy will come out near-perfect (usually the exact same time as the cd you've copied or 1 second longer).

The lack of being able to add fade-outs/fade-ins to the music or any sort of real editing capability is sorely missed.

Purchased At:   Advance Audio Video

Submitted by BaXximus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Ok, Phillips obviously had major problems with the early releases.
But, it happens, they totally gave me all my money back. I went ut and bought another and had no problems. The Dub is perfect to original. Unless there is Negative space or no gaps. And when you buy a free Standing DA Recorder, you need to buy DIGITAL AUDIO Disks. I also bought Comp USA DA disks bak in the day, but there not really DA disks. In the beginning some crap companies tried to get away with cheap DA disks that did not work. All real CD's are DIGITAL AUDIO, to make good recordings or copies that will last you want DA, they do that so that their expensive burners will be backed up by there product not the cd you choose to use. As long as they were not generic cd's, all DA will work. New or upcoming models should exclude gaps.
Also the key to good recording is slow burning thats why you only see a max of 4x free standing burners

When I purchaced this it was around 550 or close to 600 before warranty. It was the only thing that was reliable, CD writers were no where near the quality they are today.

Purchased At:   6th Ave

Submitted by ROBERT MARTIN a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
THIS IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE WORST PRODUCT I HAVE EVER BOUGHT! IT HAS BEEN IN SERVICE TWICE, 8 WEEKS THEN 4 WEEKS! IT WILL NOT RELIABLY WORK WITH ANY BRAND BLANKS. WHEN I FIRST GOT IT I USED SONY THEN MEMOREX THEN COMP USA THEN ZENITH. I BOUGHT 100 ZENITH BLANKS IT WORKED WITH A FEW BUT NOW IM STUCK WITH 100 USELESS BLANKS! PHILLIPS SERVICE SAYS I SHOULD ONLY USE PHILLIPS BLANKS!! WHATS THE DEAL WITH THAT!! TAKE MY ADVICE STAY CLEAR!!!

Purchased At:   CIRCUIT CITY

Submitted by Grant a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
Basically the main problem is this inserting gap thing that is does. It actually doesn't sound like a big deal, but I have a large selection of live CDs which I'd like to duplicate for use in a car and other CD players in the house - and I can't copy them (well I can, but I wouldn't want to play them with pauses inbetween the tracks). Another thing is the build quality which isn't up to scratch. Luckily *touch wood* I havn't needed to take the unit back, but sometimes I place a CD in the tray and it won't read it. If I then eject and reinsert it'll work. Also the trays just seem very flimsy compared to the 10 year old Technics I have as well. I havn't recored analogue so I can't comment on the levels. Digital recording levels are perfect though.

Purchased At:   Audio Vision

Submitted by Roderick Ingram a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
This dual-deck is a great value. I've recorded from vinyl, DVD's, and, of course, CDs. Problems include the fact that the machine automatically places sound gaps between tracks, which is fine for most CDs but bad for continous mix dance CDs. One advantage of the dual-deck is high speed dubbing--you can make a copy of a CD in half the time it would take to play it. Another disadvantage is the limited ability to adjust the recording level--I can never make songs recorded from vinyl sound as loud as those recorded from CD. It takes a while to figure out how to record from various sources, but once you get a hang of it, it's very easy. Overall, I'm pleased with it!

Purchased At:   Circuit City