Philips CDR600 CD Recorder CD Recorders/Players

3.14/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $299.95

Submitted by optrimus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
The digital master as played back through what? If it goes through an
external converter, and the CD does too, and the converter's any good, then
they should sound identical. But if the digital master's played back
through, say, a Lynx card and the cheap CD player uses its own audio
circuits, it's very unlikely that they'll sound the same.

Submitted by FranDid a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
Not a bad sounding unit, i would say average. A kind of special "sweet" sound, not a great dynamic range but even badly recorded music will sound quite nice and totally harmless! But cannot be compared to high end CD players. As a recorder it is OK but analog input gets a tiny interference from the electronics.
Its main feature is CD text which is useful & beautiful !
Mine lasted for 10 years yet I did not used it very often... mainly as a player and to see the CD text !
Now there is a problem and only Philips reparing centers maybe able to repare it in France but the charge is high... I am hesitating and trying to find a second hand working unit to repare mine...
I read on the net that many units suffered from lots of different problems in France and in the USA... most of them worked for no more than a few years... which is not surprising since they were manufactured in Hungary... !

Submitted by kpatterson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this used from the AudioReview online web site to create CD recordings from my vinyl collection. The analog source CD recordings were very good and seemed to preserve the soundstage and detail from highs to lows even better than I had expected. Also the digital sourced CD recordings were better than burning copies on my Dell 8200 pentium 4 PC. This recorder will also make HDCD recordings. I really became pleased when I recorded a Rolling Stones double album "Smash Hits" vinyl. The recording was far superior to the same commercial CD version I own. There was more depth, soundstage, and detail than the commercial CD.

I did have a problem. One day the unit would not power on and I now have the unit at the repair shop. However, I did purchase the unit used and with that said, I am looking forward to getting it back and start making copies of my vinyl collection.

The CD playback is not it's strong point where I only made this purchase to make vinyl recordings. I use a NAD C541 CD for playback, a Musical Fidelity A3 integrated amp, Triangle Titus speakers, polk powered subwoofer, and all Analysis Plus speaker and interconnects. The turntable is a Sumiko Pro-Ject RM-4 with a Grado Reference Platinum MM cartridge.

Purchased At:   AudioWeb Online Site

Submitted by kpatterson a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I durchased this used from the AudioReview online web site to create CD recordings from my vinyl collection. The analog source CD recordings were very good and seemed to preserve the soundstage and detail from highs to lows even better than I had expected. Also the digital sourced CD recordings were better than burning copies on my Dell 8200 pentium 4 PC. This recorder will also make HDCD recordings. I really became pleased when I recorded a Rolling Stones double album "Smash Hits" vinyl. The recording was far superior to the same commercial CD version I own. There was more depth, soundstage, and detail than the commercial CD.

Purchased At:   AudioWeb OnLine Clas

Submitted by motoradd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Cassette tape is convenient but as far as sound quality it sucks, unless you use Dolby S or dbx noise reduction. Then you can’t really play them back in the car, cos Car audio only seems to go as far as Dolby B. Tape recordings played back on the recording deck sound great but play them back on another make and they don’t sound so great. Too much variation in Dolby presets and equalisation circuits between manufacturers. CD on the other hand is great for sound and doesn’t suffer from the above mentioned manufacturer variations. So if you want to ditch the tape deck and turntable burning CD’s is the best option. Yeah you can use a PC burner, but it’s a pain recording a track at a time on the PC to get track indexing. Then what happens if on track merges into the next, you can’t do it without a jump in the flow. So for £150 I bought the CDR600 for one little button on the remote. Track Increment! You simply start your turntable or tape deck, press record. When it’s time for a track increment, press the button and the CDR600 increments the track count. It’s a miracle! Record onto audio CDR/W, then put that into the PC and burn a PC CDR from it (Saves money on blank media). Analogue recordings pretty good and actually can remove the sharpness from clicks on scratched records. I don’t use it for CD copying cos the PC is faster and gets round serial copy management. Playback is adequate but not brilliant, but hey for this price it makes a good data capture device. Used with a PC for final editing it’s an absolute bargain and I can now ditch the turntable and cassette deck 2 (used to make Dolby B copies from dbx masters). Now all my vinyl and tapes are on CD, I don’t use it, cos I play the CD’s on a NAD C541i.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds