Yamaha CDX-993 CD Players

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

At the price this is a great allround cd-player with lots of functions, a clean, light sound and fansy design (the silver issue)

Submitted by Dimitry G. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I started to build my system from Yamaha RX-596 stereo reciever that was chosen after several other models in $300-400 price range were auditioned (see my review on RX-596). So the next step was to choose the CD player and I desided to try one from the same brand. The firt one was CDX-496 and I found it not too bad but its dynamic range was not enough for me. Then I listen to CDX-993 and was truly impressed by its clear sound and wide dynamic range. I auditioned also the Onkyo DX-7211 and NAD C520 players but the Yamaha CDX-993 just overperformed them.
This CD player has clear crisp sound, wide dynamic range and full flat response. Its design is very convenient for those who don't use a programming modes or skip option frequently: it has a cover that hides all these buttons, headphone jack and digital output, so only play/pause, stop, eject and power on/off buttons are exposed. The build quality also very good: very steady and quiet tray, golden headphone jack, all metal panels and cover. Coupling with Yamaha reciever gives one more advantage: the recievers' remote control can operate the basic CD player functions.
In conclusion, in this price range it is very impressive CD player.

My system is:
Yamaha RX-596 reciever
Yamaha CDX-993 CD player
JBL S-38 speakers

Submitted by John Fredrickson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
CD player blew away competition from rotel and NAD, when choosing a new amp/cd player combo. A couple of extended demos convinced me to not to upgrade to a new Arcam set-up.

Bass presence and detail resolution are fantastic. Voices sound lifelike, and "true". Feels like a very solid piece of kit. Rediscovering my CD collection all over again, and love it.

Currently using with a Yamaha (again!)RXV 995 amp and Mission 773e speakers, which I feel work together well. Sorted for Stereo, and starting to looking to add dvd/surround also.

Submitted by Rolando a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
Several days after listening to this and the above mentioned CDp's at the audio room of a dealer down here, I purchased this Yamaha unit. I tried classical (Beethoven's 5th/Karajan), rock (Van Halen/Boston), soundtracks (Dances with Wolves-The Death of Timmons / Terminator), electronic (P.O'Hearn's El Dorado), covering a wide range of sounds.

The dealer had a Bryston B60 integrated amplifier, and several speakers at the demo room were systematically used (Energy C8/eXL28, B&W DM604, Jamo Classic 6). During the research I found that the sound from the CDX993 was consistently less grainy than the other CDp's tried. Its deep and tight bass to me sounded (sic) perfectly balanced with the mids and highs. To me, the musical dynamics somehow seems to benefit from the pro-bit technology employed in this unit (16-bit converted to 20-bit), again when compared to the other CDp's tried.

I also tried the Musical Fidelity X10-D upgrade unit for CDp's. While it really improved the sound from the CD48 and the CDX-493 (better bass, less grains), I did not find any noticeable improvement when playing the CD67 and the CDX993.

Regarding overall rating, it is the best CDp I've ever tried (well, not too much down here). Regarding value rating, for overseas reviews such as this one, value ratings are affected by shipping costs and local taxes, but I consider this component the best value for the money I've ever spent in audio. Yes, it's a double 5-stars. Enjoy it.

Submitted by Ralph a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
This cdplayer gives great value for money.
In the silver/gray issue - it has a fancy design - and gives great functinality.

The sound is pretty good for its class - light, clear and focused.

I intend to buy a more expensive cd-player soon - but intend to keep this one because I simply like it very much.

Atlantic Technology: