Yamaha CDC-755 CD Players

3.82/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Mike a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have had this player for several years now, and I just love the way it sounds. First, I will get the one negative out of the way. The tray is noisy when it spins. You hear it zing between discs. This is uncharacteristic of Yamaha's quality in my experience. Now the good stuff. Ergonomics are quite good overall in my opinion. You get direct track access via the front panel buttons. Most players do not have track buttons on the front. Instead they leave you to press the FWD button over and over to get to your favorite song.
It's the sound that matters, right? In the Yamaha CDC-X55 line, the top two models got a 20 bit D/A converter. It excells in the measurements that make for a great player. The S/N ratio is an outstanding 115db. THD is .0025% and dynamic range is 100db. Stats don't always tell the whole story, but these numbers are awesome for a player at this price point.
Several months ago I decided to buy the Sony DVD player that also functions as a 5 cd changer. I figured that I would replace and sell the Yamaha changer and save space in my cabinet. The $799 Sony has a 96/24 DAC in it that was supposed to be better for CDs too. I compared them to eachother carefully, and much to my disappointment, the Yamaha definitely sounded better. I was truly bummed because I only had space enough for one of these players. My solution was to keep the Sony, and use it as a transport for CD playing by having my Denon AVR-3600 be the DAC.

The point here is that the Yamaha CDC-755 D/A sounds so good and I was so spoiled by it that I ended up using some very expensive hardware to replace it. It's a price/performance king, but -1 star for the zinging tray.

BTW, I did NOT sell it!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Jeff a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned this CD player for 2.5 years now. It has great sound, but the controls are annoying and the tray is very noisy.
I have had many problems with it (including the gears for the tray being stripped (I bought it as a demo), and laser alignment (twice fixed)). In its defense it has had ALOT of use.

Because of the reliability I only give it a 3, otherwise it would be a 5.

Submitted by William Newton a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 9, 1998

Bottom Line:
Ripped Off. Bought a Yamaha CDC565 5 DISC CD Player. 3 days after the warranty expired the machine will not play discs. It simply rotates through the whole tray, then freezes up. Bought the unit at the good guys! in Seattle for US$170. It would cost me about US$100 to ship it back to them. Yamaha you got me.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by B. Curry a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 6, 1998

Bottom Line:
Good Sound. Noisy Mechanism.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Omar a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1997

Bottom Line:
Very good sound for the price. The only thing that i don't like about it is that the tray makes a lot of noise.

BLG CP024: