Yamaha CDC-655 CD Players

5 Disc Changer

Submitted by mark miller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got this open box for only 95.00 , an have had no
problens at all , sound is very good. Remote is a great
, if you fine this cd player get it. I't wont let you down.

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Overall, I'm pleased with this CD players performance. It has had no mechanical problems and plays everything (even moderately scratched discs) with no errors. My only complaint is that it is loud when switching discs internally.

Submitted by Marc Baillargeon a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
First disappointment with a Yamaha product. Poor tracking with scratches and CD blemishes. Sometimes, logic in random mode all wrong. Had to have it repaired twice. A poor product to be avoided.

Submitted by Charles Griffin a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I haunt pawn shops. Found my 655 at one outside Shaw AFB. Bought it primarily so I could change disks while one was playing. Took it home, plugged in in and a strange series of problems began--skipping and jumping--but not related to damaged disks. Also door opened rather clunky. Took it apart and found a disk rattling around underneath the drawer. Put it back together and it still had funny skipping problem. Took it apart again and examined the stainless steel rails the lazer head rides on. Added lubricant to rails. No more problems.
With Yamaha DSP A1 and Yamaha speakers all disks played with pleasing sound. When I switched to a set of used Klipsch Forte's things changed. Many disks seemed harsher, but tweaking treble and bass controls on DSP A1 once again smoothed it all out. Changing procedure is loud. It consistantly plays at least two cuts on same disk before random changes. I think Yamaha did that to cut down on the number of times you get irritated by changing disk noise. Didn't work, of course. It needs either insulation or different mechanism.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Ray M a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
Bought mine 2 years ago to replace an old Nak. I run my CDC655 through a NAD 3120 into a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's. GREAT SOUND!!! Clean and bright. As far as warranty and break downs are concerned...I've owned other YAMAHA products and have NEVER had a problem with warranty work. This is the first Home stereo component I've purchased from Yamaha but like I said...it's been two years and alls well.

TARA LABS: