Yamaha CDC-665
Description: CD Player

Submitted by tegmen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is for the slightly older CDC 655.

I purchased this CD player second hand for $50 New Zealand Dollars.
Originally I purchased it to complement my Yamaha RX 396 receiver, to use in the bedroom.
I love the 5 CD changer system. Load 5 of your favourite CDs and you can mix and match between them. This unit is great for parties, or having drinks with friends. Great in the bedroom where you can load your favourite 5 cds at the time.
The next cd can be loaded without stopping the current one playing.
When skipping to the next Cd, the player finds the next CD relatively quickly.

The unit looks attractive, the black colour blends in to any surroundings, or most other hifi components.

Purchased At:   Second Hand

Submitted by Peter Johans a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a truly magnificent CD changer for the person on a bidget. I purchased one used after extensive listening of a number of units. I can see what some users are refering to as harsh sound and I guess that is truw if the recording is bright. This player is true to the original recording and ugly bad recording will not be covered up by lack of high frequency resolution. I purchased this for my secodary system and tested it extensively in my main system. Honestly when comapared it to my NAD dvd changer and rotel CD changer I could find very litly to criticize!! This player is just as smooth and full sounding as my other two units with detail and dynamics which come very close to true high end units. The built quality is tp notch and it sno picky about what kind of discs it plays heich is very important these days with CD-R's etc. Too bad most of the newer CD players from yamaha are not as solidly built as this one.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Dan D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
The first thing I noticed when I listened to this CD player was the harsh, brassy and accentuated upper mid range. It is especially noticeable on reed instruments, sax, trumpets. I tried different artists and mixes, but the coloration is persistent. After 4 or 5 cuts, it becomes tedious to listen much longer. While the imaging and sound stage is excellent - Natural Sound - is a misnomer. I am currently looking for a more balanced sounding CD player to replace this one.

Purchased At:   Sound Advise

Submitted by Tom Hanna a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a nice CD player for the money. This is the first year they started putting toslink (optical) dig. outputs on these. I like the design of the player, especially the buttons and the smooth black front panel. PlayXchange is a nice feature, and mind does NOT skip when i open it using playXchange. Sound is good for me, especially for $90, and i like the Yamaha name. I own the RX-V2092 receiver from Yamaha, that i bought used and both of these components are fabulous together. I also like the amber/orange display Yamaha uses for their LCD. This is a minor thing that i like, but i dont think it will make a difference on anybody buying or passing this CD player, but when i select "Time Mode", for every CD i put in it stays in that time mode, rather than reseting like many other CD players do-this means that if you want to see the "remain" time or something, you only select it once and you can play as many CD's as you would like without selecting that mode again because it memorized it. I like this feat. but its kinda dumb.

Overall, great CD player for the money and i am enjoying my CD's for years to come.

Purchased At:   Pawn shop in Florida

Submitted by John from Maui a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've owned the 665 for almost two years. It has done a fairly good job though w/in the past 2 weeks it has begun to routinely skip on CD's that themselves don't have skips (I've tested). Luckily it's still under warranty and will be going back next week.

I also own a HHB 850 CD recorder. The sound with the HHB's playback is clearly superior and is leading me to shop around for a better CD player to replace the yamaha 665.