Yamaha CDC-845
Description: 5 disc changer, PDM d/a converter

Submitted by jrhymeammo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
I love this player so much. The sound of this CDP is very detailed and a bit on the warm side. I would like to know how people are setting up this unit. I use the analog connection instead of using the digital output. I only turn up the output level to about 3 to 4 bars on the display. When this unit is turned up to around 6-Max level, it will not sound as good as the unit's capability. I also find it to be bright and boring when turned up high. And the player will lose the dynamics and warmness. Also, by utilizing quality interconnect will get the most out of this player, so please spend more than $5 on cables. If you cannot, how did you guys spend 500 US$ on this?

I just happened to love this player. Not everybody has same tastes, preferences, and etc. That's why we have other options on speakers, amps, cartridges, and so on.

Of course, I would much rather listen to records, but this player does not wear me out like other units I've tried and listened to. If you have this unit in back of the closet, please sell it to somebody else. Who knows, maybe the buyers will enjoy this unit as much as I do.

One Love,

Rotel RSX-972,

B&W Signature 805,

Paradigm PW-2200,

Pro-Ject X-pression w/ Grado Silver w/ vibration tweaks.

Pioneer PL-L1000 w/ Sumiko Oyster,

Marantz 6100 TT

Yamaha CDC-845

Pro-Ject Tube Box,

Grado SR-60,

PS Audio, Wire World, Alpha Core cables.

Submitted by Jason Noel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Don't know what you all are talking about here, but I really enjoy listening to my CDC-845. I think it sounds very clean, very natural, better than most CD players. Sure, it isn't an audiophile CD player, but most people cannot discern the difference between a five-hundred dollar unit and a five-thousand dollar unit. Personally, I think it sounds great and looks great and I saved forty-five hundred bucks.

The controls are excellent, it has a ton of features, and since I am into aesthetics, I love the front panel with the door. I also love the fact that I can either dim the display or turn it off altogether. As long as my CDC-845 plays, I will keep it.

System:
AX-570
EQ-550
CDC-845
TX-950
KX-W421
NHT Super Zero
Definitive Tech. PF-15
Monster interconnects and speaker cable

Purchased At:   Honolulu, Hawaii

Submitted by Arthur Ball a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my parent's CD player and I picked it out before discovering this website. Wish I had known because the musical quality of this CD player is not good. I have a Sony that sounds much warmer and just more musical. This Yamaha is coupled to a Yamaha R-V703 receiver that is not too good either so the system as a whole sounds bad. Our last "X" series Yamaha stereo receiver and CD player were much much better so I know Yamaha can do it. It is a shame because it looks good and the ergonomics are great for this price.

Purchased At:   Sound Post

Submitted by Jon R. a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with Robert K. this cdp does lack warmth and does sound to to digital. no naturalness what so ever. the thing that did bother me the most is the high's it was so harsh! my ears were ringing for a day just for an hour of listening. so I had to return it. I will not buy anything yamaha again.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Robert K a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have had my CDC-845 for a year and never really liked it. It always sounded very digital and lacked a lot of warmth. I recently got a new DSP-A1 and hooked it up using a digital cable and it sounds like a different CD player. It is a lot warmer and has a much better sound stage. If you own a 845 you try it with a different D/A converter.