Yamaha CDC-905
Description: Cd changer

Submitted by Joey a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I probably paid a bit too much for this player, but i'm very pleased at what i got in return. I've had no problems with it so far. It plays my cdr's great and the sound is outstanding for a player under $200. It even plays ones that don't work any out cd player that i own. My friends paid around $150 for their sony players but they didn't get nearly the quality of player that i did. I've always been pleased with yamaha products and i will continue to purchase their products.

Purchased At:   cyclone stereo

Submitted by Matthew Goff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked this guy up at Best Buy sealed in a box for $119.99. I was only considering 5/6-disc CD players with the capability of CD TEXT (I have a CD-r that can burn CD TEXT).

The hookup and use is pretty straight forward. What made me purchase this player over the Sony 535 player is due to the overall build quality of the unit. The 905's tray is much more solidly built, opens faster, switches discs more quietly and quickly, and plays the most scratched of discs without a problem. I put in one of my favorite CDs (which happens to be scratched to hell) in both the 535 and the 905. The Yamaha 905 didn't skip once and played everything w/o any problem whatsoever. The Sony on the other hand, skipped regularly and sometimes wouldn't recognize the disc. The specs on the two players were basically identical, but the overall quality of build and sound set the Yamaha apart...

I have the Yamaha 905 paired up with a Denon 3200 and the overall sound is very warm and sounds very detailed. The bass is solid and the mids/highs are very inviting.

The only thing I really don't like is the lack of a stand-by mode on the player. The lack of a power button is only a minor annoyance, as my Denon receiver has switched outlets. Also the buttons on the remote are a bit small (especially track and disc skip). I'm just being picky though....

Submitted by Guillermo Hernandez a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
Got this about 2 months ago from ONECALL. The first one was shipped to me but the buttons on the unit did not work. They shipped me another one and there have been absolutely no problems. Love the text feature which lets you see the artist's name and the name of the song which is being played. Doesn't work for most cds though but got fired up when it did. Play exchange is another great feature which most cd changers come with now. There really isn't anything that is flashy about this unit. Some say that the tray is loud. Those are they're just anal and are looking for something to pick at. It sounds great and works very well. I have an optical digital connection to the receiver. I suggest that if you get this player spend an extra 30 or so dollars on the cable. Oh i got it for 190 including shipping.

Submitted by Nils a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
One thing that surprised me the most about this CD Player is
the fact that it plays through scratched discs like there is
not even a scratch on the disc. It is also a very quiet disc
player compared to most of the CD Changers I've listened to.
I picked it up at Best Buy for about $170 out the door. But that's only because I work for Best Buy.
If you want an excellent CD Player for under $230, this is
your best buy.

Submitted by Cheryl a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this yamaha cd player threw onecall.com I have to say...I was very worried about purchasing something electronic online but they have eased all of my fears. First of all...it came in two days double boxed. Then they e mailed me to give me the tracking number and e mailed to see if I received it. I also got a follow up call asking if everything was ok with the player and service with the company. I told them..."you guys are awesome!!" To end all praise...(I know enough already) The total cost was $183.00 plus shipping!! When in the store this retailed for over $300 dollars!!!

Now for the cd player :) GReat display..crisp playing sound. The remote is fine...yes some small buttons but I use the general remote I got with the yamaha 795a receiver that the cd player is being used with. I wasn't a big believer in yamaha at first owning sony for so many years however between freinds, audio review and hearing it for myself..this was they way to go. I haven't been able to use the great features it offers...taping delay..or title track and artist info....however I believe for the money and quality...this is the way to go!!

Tell cell one that cheryl sent ya!! :) Good luck