Ultech UCD-100 CD Players

4.36/5 (25 Reviews) MSRP : $895.00

Submitted by Robert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just purchased a used UCD100 that was for sale a long time. I purchased because of the HDCD capabilities and it demoed better than my Luxman. My son has an Arcam 7se that sounds sweeter, but it was also $700. Overall, I am happy with sound quality and manufacturing. Dito on display

Purchased At:   Canadian Hi Fi

Submitted by Peter Temon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
The player can perform very well as a top hi-end CD drive, It's life-like vocals with warm musical delightful feeling,enjoyably extra details from recordings ...is recognising that the whole is always seem greater than the sum of is all parts, may show you more dynamic and real lively in all case.
I think I choose the right CD-drive and nearly 3 years it performance is very stable without any problem. Every day it bring me a wonderful and musical day.

Purchased At:   2000

Submitted by Raymond a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best cd player I ever hear of(own and not own). I cannot belive the quality of the componet, considering low selling price. Maybe that's the reason why the company went broke. I highly recommend any one to pick one up if they can get their hands on one.

The HDCD sounds great. I personnelly perfer HDCD to SACD, because SACD just have too much repeated information on disc to make them sound rich, while HDCD sounded more true to the real thing.

Purchased At:   Da Cheong Hang Hi Fi division

Submitted by Frank Steele a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a dealers demo at a Ganga price. I haven't decided if it is better than my Rotel RCD-971 yet, but it as least as good as the Rotel. The Cal Audio CL-20 kills them both, but it is also $2500. It is built like a tank, a little too much like a tank, it is very long big and heavy.

Yes they are out of business, no they were not part of a German company. They just priced their product too low to cover any warranty work they needed.

Submitted by Paul P a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've had my Ultech for over 6 mths with no problems. It's a beautiful component with a hard to read display although it gives me all the information I want to see. I thought they were part of a large company from Germany that makes speakers too so I hope the other posters were wrong about them going out of business. Based on my unit I would take off one star for the display but I won't because this player is so much better looking and hefty. Couldn't see paying 2 or 3 times as much for a player that was all plastic and weighed 5 pounds!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile