Technics SL-PD888 CD Players

4.45/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $180.00

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this player in 1998. It has performed well and played all the cds that I own, including CDRs. The only complaint is that the transport is loud. The changer makes a fair bit of noise and I can stand a few feet away and hear the cd spin.

When I upgrade my recvr, I will most likely purchase the SL-PD8 and only for the digital out. Great player for an incredible price!

Submitted by Dr. H a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this CD player spontaneously because I was so disappointed at the time with the realiability of two previous CD players. I was having problems with disc skipping and overall poor performance from CD lasers. Technics has always been rated well for reliablity by CR, so I thought I'd go buy one to fill in for a while. Well, I've owned it for just over a year and it is already starting to skip on every disc usually around the time I first start playing them. To me, this is totally unacceptable performance, even for a cheap player. I owned a comparable Sony for nine years before it started doing this.

Otherwise, it is a great player for the price since it performed well in all categories besides some minor inconveniences with the features (e.g. the inability to program a track while it's playing). I would have given this player either 4 or 5 stars, but the lack of realibility over a short period of time knocks it down to a 2. Maybe it's a lemon, but it gets the review nonetheless.

Submitted by Mike a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
Hi, I posted a 5 star review on the SL-PD887, and I was wondering if anyone knows if this player reads cd-rw. It probably does because of the fact that the laser in it is so much better at reading scratched discs than other cd players, but wondering if anyone has done it. I just thought I'd ask because we might be getting a cd-burner and I dont think either of my portables Panasonic SL-S200 and Kenwood DPC-692 will read cd-rw. The Technics is my dads cd player. By the way I just hooked up my Kenwood portable to my dads high end 1987 Yamaha stereo unplugging the Technics and compared them and I could never tell the difference in sound between players, but the difference between these 2 was huge. The Kenwood simply sucked. I only got to hear it for like 10 seconds cuz my sister came home from school and told me to turn it down, but i could instantly tell the Technics rocked.

Submitted by Michael González a

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
Excelente maquina , posee la capacidad de seguir reproduciendo un disco mientras cambio los otros cuatro. No pierde la continuidad en la reproducción a pesar de trabajar con discos muy dañados. es una maquina bastante buena por su precio.

Submitted by Günter Menzel Riadi a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
It´s a good player, only miss a Digital out (SL-PD8 have this). Everything are ok

High End: