Technics SL-PD887 CD Players

4.5/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

5 disc changer

Submitted by Randy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought a Technics 5 disc SL-PD887 CD player new in about 1995 and used it for about ten years until I got a CD jammed in it. I got sloppy in the way I loaded a disc one time and it jammed the CD inside the player and broke something. That accident ruined what was a machine that otherwise couldn't be killed. Before then it never gave me any trouble. About six months ago I donated it as scrap to United Way (they recycle junk electronics). I just bought another SL-PD887 on eBay last week for $20 and it is on its way. I have no doubt it will perform just as steadfastly as the one I bought brand new. I have been using a Sony 5 disc CD player in its stead and it's OK, but I don't think it is as user friendly as the Technics was. I will pull it and use the Technics in its place. The Sony will go to a second line stereo I have in another room. The Technics will serve duty on my Sansui G3500 receiver and KG4 Klipsch speakers. I am going to throw add a TEAC EQA20 equalizer for kicks to this system to see how it might improve it the dynamics, though the Klipsch do a fine job. Any way, this is a first class CD player in my book. This is the best bang for anyone's buck in my book.

Submitted by matslars a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
Well this player is not comparable with my Pioneer Elite PD-93 nor the Pioneer PDS-06 but I must say the soundquality is absolutely ok. Usability is top for a 5-disc player, I mean I really always go for the single players. The price paid, at a flee market, $7 is stupid but true. For sure, paying many times more, you will still be satified. I would normally never buy a product this pricerange but must say I'm amazed about the sound quality

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have this CD changer for 4.5 years and it has been working so far flawlessly. It reads regular cd and cd-r as well. It's tray mechanism is fast and quite. Only complaint is that it tends to sound a little harsh with cd's recordings that have been made in full digital (DDD), I guess too much digitalization is not good.
Overall very reliable, fast and transparent operations.

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by T a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
OK, so it is a low end Technics[sound quality is certainly acceptable & sounds better with a modest cable upgrade]. Plays forever,never a skip or misplay. If your in the need for an excellent,inexpensive cd-5 player, BUY this Technics!I,m upgrading soon and don't know how to retire this monster,it's been so good for me.

Purchased At:   BB or CC

Submitted by Anoop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
For the price I paid for this CD player, I could not ask for anything more. I bought it before I got into more audiophile grade equipment, but I do not regret the purchase. I usually play the CD player about 1-2 hours on an average day, often more the 6 hours straight once a week, have had parties with around 20 people dancing on a hardwood floor to dance/party music, and IT HAS NOT EVER SKIPPED SINCE 1997. It plays CD's that are scratched or dirty that won't play on my mini-system player. It retrieves songs faster than my friend's Marantz 5-disc CD player, and sounds great (although my speakers have a lot to do with that). Price, performance, 5 stars.

My system: