Sony CDP-XB920 CD Players

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Fixed Pick-up

Submitted by sean roberts a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2015

Bottom Line:
I first purchased my Sony CDP-XB920E about 12-13years ago , it appealed to me bythe way it was made and also how it sounded on some expensive gear at Douglas Hi Fi in Perth Western Australia , At home I had a rare Sony TA-8650 V-FET amplifier driving some JBL-S310 MK2 speakers , and a Tecnics SL-120 tyrntable with an sme 3009 arm and shure v-15 mark3 cartridge . I don't change gear very often , and I took my time replacing my Technics CD player . I was able to compare several quality players through the same amp and speakers in a sound room at Douglas HiFi and the Sony beat the others comfortably , it had a really well balanced , smooth and punchy sound that appeals to me . After hooking it up to the redoubtable V-FET amp , I was really blown away by the dynamicsof this CD player , I have had no problems in the 12 odd years I have owned it , or the Sony V-fet which is now 30 years old . Sony makes gear to go the distance and sound good too !

Submitted by Duncan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've owned this player for a long time. It was purchased from a Sony factory seconds place much cheaper than rrp, It wasn't supposed to be in Australia - was fitted with an oddball mains plug, I can only guess it was an Asian market evaluation model that was rejected.

This is a very solid machine, lots of heft to it with frame and beam construction, copper used in critical areas. As a transport it's killer. As a standalone player it's so-so, very digital, very forward, potenet dynamics & thrusts music at you rather than drawing the listener in. However add an offboard DAC and all bets are off. The fixed optical ES transport reigns supreme in the mass produced Japanese market.

If you find one for sale snap it up for a song and spend your coin on the DAC, then sit back & see what this star can really do.

Submitted by Rob Howarth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
A competant player that out-performs some of it's more expensive rivals. This player has the build quality expected from a company such as Sony and looks good too. The player is very easy to use - the jog wheel is something I couldn't live without! The player has both optical and co-axial outputs which is great if you want to make recordings to MD or CDR and has many facilities such as track spacing and peak search if you are making analogue recordings. For the price you really can't go wrong!

Purchased At:   Sevenoaks

Submitted by Francisco Delgado a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this player for the quality of its sound and the CD-TEXT feature, which is very useful for my own compilations, besides it can play CDRW.
But soon I realised that this player has many problems with some discs, mainly because some CDs have an internal radius which is a little bigger (fraction of millimeters), and because the way this player fixes the discs, the CD cannot spin allways at the speed needed. This causes glitches in the sound, even the stop of the playing with the message "NO DISK".
A pitty for such a promising player; may be a simple and traditional fixing mechanism (now I don't by this fixed optical blah ...) with a 10 seconds buffer would be better.

Purchased At:   Sony Center Santiago

Submitted by Christian O. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
this is a great cd player. the price is very good. highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Sony dealer