Sony CDP-XA7ES CD Players

4.57/5 (74 Reviews) MSRP : $3000.00

CD Single

Submitted by paul a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have purchased my mid-hi system with this CD player as the source,
a KRELL integrated amp and a pair of sonus faber speaker. To put a long story
short. I am not happy with this system. On some CDs, it is great and other
CDs, it is very bad. Then, one day, I swap this CD player with the latest sony
ES dvd player that cost $400. WIth this source, my system sounds so bad for
all material. Who said CD players are all the same. Some laughed at me
for getting a $3000 CD player. Now, I know it is the best purchase I have
made. With a cheaper CD players, there are simply no HIFI sound at all.
Now, I know why some people hate KRELL. If your source is low FI, you will
only get a low FI system

Submitted by Vincent Chen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Absolutely everything that was promised about this player, and more. The build is vault like at 33 pounds and an ounce. Copper bottom plate with reinforced contruction throughout. Sony wanted to make a statement with this deck. With that oh so smooth protein coated drawer and nifty clamp this deck just feels luxurious. Beside being used in my audio system, this unit will be part of my project studio. Balanced outputs and single ended fixed and variable make it easy. Digital outs are coaxial, and if you must Toslink. It is one thing to be such a smooth operator, but to be so good sounding with detail galore. Midrange is my favorite aspect of this deck. So at ease with itself. No glare, or grit. Bass is very good with taut tones and timber,and highs that are very smooth and refined. Is this deck perfect?? No, of coarse not. The Balanced output is not a true balanced in the "PROFESSIONAL"sense in that it is still 2 volts output just like the unbalanced analog outs. Hmmm, that is odd indeed. Other than that, this deck is one that I had heard in recording studios, and at stores, and all I knew was that I had to have it for my place.Icing on the cake are the vast program and ancillary options such as custom file memory, motorized line out control that can be controlled from the remote. The remote is complete but I would have like the buttons to be a different shape for the various transport mode functions and back lighting would make the usable remote even better. Overall I am glad I bought this terrific deck. A reference to be sure. Makes every Cd player I have owned pale in comparison to this one. If you get one used at a great price, then your CD collection and your ears are in for a treat. Enjoy and thanks for reading. V.C.

Purchased At:   purchased used aucti

Submitted by Abe Collins a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
System:
Sony XA7ES, Cary CD 306/200, MSB Gold Link III DAC.
Audio Research LS16 vacuum tube preamp.
Conrad-Johnson Premier 11a tube power amp.
Classe CA-300 solid-state power amp.
Thiel CS 1.5 speakers.

I always wanted one of these and finally bought my used Sony XA7ES from a fellow audiophile. It's an impressive unit that is built like a battle ship with it's heavy copper chassis. The ergnomics of the XA7ES is better than my new Cary 306/200 [$5K list]. It just makes more sense and the controls are easier to deal with as is the well thought out remote.

Although the Sony XA7ES sounds incredibly good with slight over all warmth and smoothness, I find that it lacks detail and air compared to some of the most modern units available today. The MSB Gold Link III external DAC helped and the Cary 306/200 CD player is even better. But at about $1000 on the used market I'm convinced that the XA7ES is one of the best buys in high-end audio.

I also tried the Sony XA7ES using its variable outputs driving my power amplifier directly (bypassing the preamp). I was amazed! This player combined with just a power amp would make an awesome and cost effective combo.

In summary, for $1000 on the used market, this is an outstanding CD player and a very good value.

Purchased At:   Bought Used from a Friend

Submitted by Allan Lee a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
This cd player is still one of the top-notch cd players out there when comes to playing regular cd materials, i.e, 16 bit resolution. The sound is full bodied and warmth, the bass can go quite low in fact. Some posters noted that the transport mechanism is somewhat average, this may be true considering that this is a cd player not a cd transport. I've tried various set-ups: optical out, fixed out, variable out, balanced out etc. and have finally come to some conclusions. This player will sound its best when use as a cd player not as a transport. That is unless you have a very pricey high end DAC, it will not make sense to let a third party equipment manufacturer do the digital to analog conversion for you. To use this player as a transport, it will only sounds a little bit better than the DVP 7700. To use it as a cd player, it will sound better and better as the machine warms up. Overall, a fine piece to have in my system.

Related equipments:

Sony XA-7ES
Sony DVP 7700
Definitive Tech 3000bps surround setups
Denon AVR 5700 Receiver
Monster interconnect 400MKII
Kimber speaker cable 8TC biwire high and mid section of front speakers.
RCA low frequency out from pre-amp section of the main

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've owned this unit for about 2 years now and am still very pleased with it.

However, the real reason for this post is to suggest to all owners of this model who HAVE YET to connect the variable outputs straight to your amp (thus by-passing the pre-amp) to give it a try and see if the sound is any different.

My own experience seems that the sound opens up some than when going through the pre-amp.

BLG CP024: