Sony CDP- X77ES CD Players

single cd player

Submitted by Sumoman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought my 'X77' in 1991 and teamed it with a Sumo Polaris amp and KEF 105/2 speakers through a Sony pre-amp, which I later replaced with a Yamaha AV amp (for surround sound) with a pre-out to keep the Sumo fo HiFi. Wtimeth this set up I had many years of audio bliss. The Sony CD player was an absolute joy to use, heavy and stable, smooth mechanism, detailed and true - and a nice piece of furniture as well! Unfortunately - it broke down in 2003 - and Sony was unable to repair due to lack of parts - from memory the drive mechanism and the laser. I haven't had the heart to throw it away, in the hope that one day a miracle will happen and I'll get it repaired! In the meantime I've replaced it with an adequate NAD transport - but it's simply not the same!! For mine the X77 is a superior CD player which outperformed many sources valued at more than twice the price.

Submitted by frahengeo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
Have had this player since 1991 and it stills works flawlessly. Its ability to move from track-to-track quickly and precisely is second to none. In it of itself, it is not a useful feature, but speaks to the design/quality/workmanship of these vintage players. Many of the older systems have had problems playing CD-Rs and CD-RWs, but this unit plays thems all despite the "old laser". Not sure about the "useless material usage" comment from the previous reviewer, but all the shielding, thick gauge metal, and ceramic feet (which all adds to the weight, by the way) help isolate the vibration and electric field. It is all meant to keep all interferences, mechanical or electrical, away. Given the quality parts usage, a new unit of this caliber would cost >$4,000 today.

Finally, the sound "tested" neutral by one of those audiophile magazines. It was touted as a neutral player that neither adds or takes away from the orginal recording, which is a highly desirable characteristic. The unit sounds good to me, but I personally, cannot comment on how well it sounds on any CDs. I don't know how the artists intended their recordings sound nor was I at the studio during the recording sessions. I can only trust that its playing back the recordings as precisely as possible.
Hey, if you want extra bass, midrange, or treble, have your processor/receiver take care of that for you.

Submitted by Gab a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
I may be crucified but here is my humble opinion

The transport :
it sucks, maybe its just old laser or need lens clean up or just poor digital stuff
Sony precision drive 2 cd transport beats it easy, its obvious after 1 second listening.

The Dac :
It sucks, all the review talking about bass ? No idea what is your definition of bass,
but its very poor, but yes the DAC is clean... its very polite and detailed, relaxed
and involving,

but , there is a lot better decoder , ac, and op-amp to replace it, and i mean LOT BETTER, no comparison,

Submitted by pkmaven a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Sony CDP-707ESD was built as a statement piece for U.S. sales. I uses a unique transport designed specifically for it and not sold from the Sony parts catalog to other cd player manufacturers. Its complete copper shielding prevents emf and the build quality is second to none. It is unique among the top of the line ES cd players because it uses dual, matched Burr Brown 18 bit converters. The variable output, motorized volume control is one of the finest made in the world and allows plugging into a power amplifier with no preamp. Peter Brady, the head of ES division for Sony at the time, told me that nothing was held back in the design of this $1800 cd player. The Nextel synthetic rubber pad around the tray is designed to seal the tray when closed so subwoofer produced low frequencies will not cause low resonance to affect the laser reader. As the original owner I have never had any problem of any kind from this very high end component, and because it is matched and integrated into my audio system, I have never had a reason to part with it.

Submitted by Dean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for info on my CDP-X77es and didn't think I'd find any! I am about to upgrade into true audiophile territory and new my player was good, but didn't realize I should probably keep it. I teamed this with the Sony GX90es Receiver and Mirage SM2.5's in 1990 and loved the sound. I guess I'll be keeping it, thanks to all the reviewers!!

TARA LABS: