Sony CDP-CX333ES CD Players

3.46/5 (13 Reviews)

Sony ES 300 Disc Changer

Submitted by Greg S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
Overall, I'm pleased with my 'CX333ES. I wish the build quality were a little better, but for the price, I can't complain. Anyway, a few reviewers have said that they can't get this player to work with the '98-'99 model year Sony ES receivers (specifically, with the 'DA50ES's two-way remote). There is a simple fix to this problem...all you have to do is go into the 333ES's set-up menu and tell it that you want to use the Control A1 (not the Control A1-II) S-link connection. Voila...the player will then communicate the first 200 disc titles to your 'DA50ES's remote!

Purchased At:   Sound City

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Overall I am pretty pleased with the sound. Although it IS a LITTLE bright on certain dics. The plastic front is a bit "cheap" for an ES model, and you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference betwen the standard SONY 300 disc player unless you looked closely. My one BIG problem with the machine is that it get's stuck during shuffle mode. It'll change to a disc and just keep trying to get it started, but just "hangs" there. This happens about 1 out of 10 times I use the machine, and it's NEVER on the same disc. ALSO, after about 3 weeks of use, a CD jammed in the player and was BROKEN when the tray attempted to spin. I had to remove the case and PRY the broken disc out. I also had to reconnect a small plastic piece that lines up the CD to be moved from the tray to the CD transport. I SHOULD have just returned the thing that day, but it's not happened since. Overall, the convenience of the 300 disc capacity outweighs all the problems, and the sound quality is as good as my old Denon changer, but no where NEAR my Sony 7700 DVD player. I may look into the Pioneer Elite 300 disc changer as a replacement.

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have to start off by saying that I only paid $329 for this unit (refurbished of course, but I still get the 5 year warranty, and there are absolutely no blemishes on this unit) at my local Sony outlet. When compared to the 300 or the 335 or 350 models the decision to buy the ES model was a no brainer.

I am very impressed with the sound quality, definitely on par with other Sony ES cd players, and a step up from the six year old Onkyo player I had previously used.

The convience of being able to store 300 discs is great, and I don't find the disc swap time to be too excessive. In shuffle mode it ranges from 10 to 12 seconds between songs.

Would I pay over $400 for this player? No way, but at anything less than that it's a great deal (my value rating reflects that sentiment).

Submitted by tristan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
the first reviewer on this list must smoke mass quatities of grass.

the face of this player is PLASTIC and the unit weighs, at most, two pounds heavier than the non "ES" 300 disk unit.

the only "ES" difference to me between the CDP-CX333ES and the CDP-CX300 is the four years of extra warranty.

you also get an extra three dB (110) on the signal-to-noise ratio.

woohoo!!!!!

Submitted by Jeremy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got this unit for $395.00 from OADE.com I am very happy with this unit. The entire unit is quieter then previous units by sony. I have no problems getting all 300 cd names loaded in my new 777es receiver. I like everything about this unit except for the fact that the front face plate is plastic. Other sony es units (like the 777) are metal everywhere, even the knobs. I sounds great though, also has a 3 position digital filter than works! Like all the Sony ES line, this is a great product!!!

Atlantic Technology: