Sony CDP-CX300 CD Players

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Mega CD Changer

Submitted by Greg Vaughan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've owned this unit for about three years now, so some of the positive reviews here may not have been written with enough miles on the unit for problems to surface. Last year, I began having problems with CD's jamming and preventing the carousel from rotating. Makes a horrible sound when that happens so you'll know. I've become very good at popping the hood to retrieve errant CD's. This has happended about once every other month until finally one of the plastic pieces of the transport mechanism broke off. Everything in this unit is cheap plastic. So, now I face paying almost the price of a new unit just to have it fixed or face getting a replacement. I'm thinking Kenwood or Pioneer this time.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Craig D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been owning and using this player for more than a year. I have found it to be great, however having over 1000 cd's in my collection,it still was not enough. Last week I purchased CDP-CX400. I am going to make the 400 the Master for the 300. Last night I took the time to connect the 400. I am going to wait to program the beast until I get a key board. Loading text information in the the 300 did take some time. This is the only real complaint that I have found so far. There have been no problems with sound quality hooking it up with the supplied analog RCA cord. I am about to purchase a new digital reciever and would like to change the connections to digital and see if the sound quality improves. The down side is that the 300 & 400 do not have in & out digital conections to link them together. A lot of reviews complain about the size of the CX300. Let me ask you, do you think the disc vanish when placed inside? Did not think so. The CX400 is even larger in size. The point is measure twice before you buy it and bring it home, only to discover the unit is to big to fit where it was intended.
I have no regrets with this product. I hardly use the remote control for the CX300. Now that I have two of them with only one or two diffrent button I might have to get in the habbit of using it, in order to control both players.
If you have a large CD collection, these type units will add to your listening pleasure. Some of the CD's you have not heard in a while is now at your finger tips. Mine all used to be stacked in cases on on top the other. Most of my jewel cases now will be able to be stored away and out of sight. Man do they take up some room.

Purchased At:   Circut City

Submitted by Jason a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is simply a great cd player. One of the biggest reasons I bought a Mega Storage CD Player is because I have 4 12"s and the bass would make my 5 disc skip a lot. If you have speakers with a lot of bass or a subwoofer DO NOT buy a cd player where the cds lie flat. I had to put my 5 Disc Changer on Styrofoam just so it wouldn't skip. I recommend this to all.

Purchased At:   REX Audio/Video

Submitted by Maxxwire a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
As soon as I put this unit into my system I realized that the DACs were sorely deficient as far as sound quality goes. I was determined to make this Mega Changer provide more inner detail, venue ambience,as well as attack and decay ambients in a hopefuly wider and deeper soundstage. I would need to build a digital lens to focus the slopy (jitter ridden) optical output into a time corrected (more jitter free) digital electrical coax signal for quality D/A conversion.

I connected my CX-300's optical output to an Audio Alchemy DTI Pro. From the PRO via I2S to a AA DTI Pro32 then digital coax to a D/A converter to pre-amp to amp.

I cannot stress the importance of the I2S bus connection enough. In measurements done by Stereophile, it reduced digital jitter by 66%. The result... Right Amplitude + Right Timing = Righteous Sound.

Having made these changes, I found that these wonderfully giant machines can be made to sound as detailed and articulate as their much more expensive yet storage challenged brethern. In fact I beleive that "bits is bits" and once the timing errors that these machines have coming out of the factory are corrected they sound Fan-Freaki'n-Tastic!!!

Purchased At:   N.W. Sony Only

Submitted by Nick a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is overall a great CD player. The only things that could be improved are the time it takes to change disks and the amount of characters on the CD text, but those are both minor things that don't have much effect on the quality of this CD player. I thing people can wait an extra 5-10 seconds to change CDs and abbreviate artist names on the text programming.

On the good side it's has great sound quality with the optical digital output. signal/noise ratio of 115 db, as good as $1000+ DVD/CD/DVD-audio players, and a frequence response of 20-20,000 hz, that's the human hearing range. Compared to the average CD player it has a lot of buttons and knobs and takes a little playing around to find out how everything works, but, for a 300-CD changer it's pretty easy to figure out and operate. It also playes more CDs than I've ever seen any other CD player play, it plays the most used and abused CDs that I have that I don't expect any CD player to play, but the CDP-CX300 playes them. Finally, it's a very solid and well built CD player, even the remote seems to be well built.

Overall, it's a great CD player. It was $300 a at christmas of 1999 so it's probably about $220-$250 now. If you're looking for a great CD changer, get this one

Purchased At:   Best buy