Sony CDP-CX260 CD Players

3.38/5 (8 Reviews)

200 CD CHANGER

Submitted by damo99 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
well i have never had a problum with this unit except that it some times wont play damaged cd's that play fine on other units
i'v been quite happey with it 4 the last 3years and plan on keeping it

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this 200-disc unit when they were being phased out. The RRP was AU$1250 (US$690), the 300-disc unit was only AU$100 (US$55) more. I can see why nobody was buying the 200-disc model. I only bought it because it was half price.

I see that some people have had bad experiences with this unit, I must say that when I was in the store, the demo unit was broken. However, I have had the player for nearly 12 months, used it regularly for the last 2 and haven't had any problems with it.

Title input is a lifesaver (though I wish it was more than 13 characters) and the keyboard input is a must for this feature. Sony recommends using a keyboard that draws
Access time varies from about 5-10 seconds. I guess I could manually eject, swap and load a CD much quicker. However, that would require getting up off my seat. The carousel motor and loading mechanism make a bit of noise, though not enough to be really annoying.

I'm currently using it as a transport (one of the reasons I bought it) running digital into a Denon AVR-1801, playing through Dynaudio Audience 40's. I haven't had a chance to compare it to other CD players on the same setup, but the sound is clear, accurate, and images well. This could have more to do with the speakers than the CD player itself.

5 stars for value, 4 stars overall only because I haven't compared the sound quality to any other players.

Purchased At:   Videopro

Submitted by Bengt Strom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm using it as a transport and I just love having all CD's so easily available. I have A/B tested the Sony changer against a Denon single CD at more than twice the price and I could not detect any difference in the sound, using them both as transports.
I have a Denon AVR 3300 and use the optical input and its internal 96/24 DAC. Speakers were Rauna Balder.

Submitted by Sean Stewart a

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
I know this is kind of tacky, but I work at an electronics store. Anyway I've got a Sony CDPCX88ES for sale. Ive got it brand new and untouched and sealed in the box. I also happen to have the store warrany on the unit and it is covered for 6 years so you don't have to worry about any warranty or lack thereof from the "GRAY MARKET" internet dealers or Sony. Instead it's covered through a large west coast chain super store.

Its a great unit but I've now decided to build a Denon system instead of Sony. I'm asking $500 for this BRAND NEW PLAYER, but I might be interested in "wheeling and dealing".

Its a 200 disk ES changer, with Sony's patented "current pulse D/A converter". It also has a 2 way remote with led screen, and has an optical output.
If interested reach me at HTTP://STEWARTSEAN@HOTMAIL.COM

Submitted by George Schelz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I too had quality problems;
- after buying the seperate cable to use my keyboard, I stillfound it too erratic to be useful, and reverted back to the knob.
- I returned it three times for repair, in that the discs jammed by the loading device - and then the device jammed itself.
- It seems awfully sensitive to scratches/dirt. CDs that play on other machines with no problem, have problems on this one.
- I'm not convinced the sound is the best. I will try linking up to a DAC and see what happens.

Having said all that, it is now working 5 months w/o the mechanical problems (knock on wood!) and the convenience is great (and helps prevent my kids from stealing the CDs, as they usually want the cases).

Equipment: