Sony CDP-CX250 CD Players

3.57/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

internal storage for 200 discs

Submitted by flobee157 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
We got this cdp from the girlfriends brother a couple months ago as a hand me down and it has worked quite well so far. I prefer the sound quality of my yamaha carousel by a little bit I`m pretty sure. The highs can be a bit grainy and in your face on certain recordings I feel. I just seem to have slightly more listener fatigue with this unit than with my old yamaha. I am going to try running its optical out into my new yamaha ht amp which has 24bit/192khz dacs and see if that smooths it out and opens the soundstage up a bit.
It is somewhat loud and slow when changing discs. programming the cds kinda sucked but its cool when its done. This machine reads id3 tags or something because it shows song titles on burnt cds and sony label cds. I am a pretty big fan of how you can program it to skip that one or two songs on a given cd that you cant stand. It has never done anything like drop or eat a disc since we have had it. As for putting discs in backwards and stuff I cant imagine why anyone would try this experiment, it sounds kinda ridiculous.
The thing is huge I had to totally rearrange my entertainment stand to make room for this tank but its so nice not having cds stacked randomly getting scratched on my tv stand.
alli in all its a good machine for its price range and can be upgraded with a nice dac

Purchased At:   brother in law

Submitted by Doug a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this player on a whim on eBay. I got it and left it in it's box, unopened for about 6 months. WHen I finaly found the time to go through my collection and whittle it down to 200 choices with which to load this monster, everything worked without a hitch, great sound, a little long while moving from song to song in shufle mode, but hey see how fast you can rifle through 200 cd's. Not too bad considering. Aside from the slight motor noise when moving from disc to disc, I hated the fact that after you go through the hassle of keying in the title of all your cd's you find that it stores the disc information to the CD's physical location (Slot #) and not a file created for the disc itself. My first changer (way back in 1990) was a Sony 5 disc model (one of the first of it's kind) and it kept memo info stored in memory by disc coding so that no matter where the disc sat, the machine knew what it was. It also stored custom program information about each disc too so you could create a special playlist and sequence for each CD. Ahh the good ol' days. Still and all, it's a great machine and I recommend it whole heartedly. Unfortunately I'll have to let mine go soon, I need more room.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by James Camastra a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
The CX250 is a great machine. I have owned it for about 6 years and have had only one problem. Don't move the unit with the CD's in it. Like in a car or something. Otherwise awesome. No problems in 6 years. It plays burned CD's. The noise and delay between songs during all disc shuffle mode are minor flaws and you get used to it.

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by Andy a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
I found the other reviews very enlightening... thanks. My CX220 was also dropping CDs and upon opening the unit (easier than returning after labeling 200 CDs!) noticed that the CDs were being delivered slightly low to the cone-shaped pickup unit. An adjustment at the back of the Sony corrected this for perfect pickup and no more mishandlings (but the setting is CRITICAL). The unit works reliably now but this is fairly inexcusable. I had exchanged a Technics linear CD changer (60 CDs) for the Sony partly because of a misaligned laser PU which caused occasional skipping on CDs which worked well on other players. Looks line quality control is slipping across the manufacturing board.

Submitted by RJ Swanson a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1998

Bottom Line:
With 3 kids in the house all wanting to listen to various CD's I felt the changer would keep them from touching all the discs. After six months the player has worked great. Even my six year old can work this player. The features are great, and the sound is excellent. I highly recommend this player, although I admit it's a bit noisy when changing disc.
RJS