Sony CDP-CX230 CD Players

2.75/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

CD Changer 200 Disk

Submitted by joebonadona a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
I Loved having this unit for the first 5 years. It was the focal point of many years of outdoor parties, with well over 4000 hours of playing time I definitely got my money's worth. With that said i was very sad last year when it started skipping on brand new, unscratched, store-bought CDs. I cleaned all of my CDs (not a small job) and the player as well as I could, it did not help. I am considering purchasing the DVP-ES777CX 400 DVD changer, but it lacks many of the features that made the CX-240 great like the Hit List.

Purchased At:   Best Buys

Submitted by Donna a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
The shuffle play and program features are especially useful.

Submitted by Ian a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Had this player for just over two years now, and haven't had a problem with it. The price was more than it would have been in the US. But it works as advertised. Sound quality from the analogue output isn't stunning, but it's fine for a "casual listener". The noise of the mechanism as discs change is a bit distracting, and it takes quite a while too. Only other serious criticism is that though you can assign discs to "groups" (so you can shuffle play only jazz CDs, for example), you can't assign a disc to more than one group.

But these are niggles. The plusses are more important, because these Sony jukeboxes are just ideal as the centre of a whole house audio system. I've got two together up in a spare bedroom where the PC is. The outputs from each go into a passive mixer, then into the sound card on the computer. Output from sound card goes to a little FM transmitter. So I can listen to CDs and MP3s all over the house. Got a wireless IR extender to let me control the CD players from anywhere in the house too. When my Slink-E (www.nirvis.com) arrives I'll be able to control the players from the PC and download all the track/genre information from www.cddb.com.

I'm giving it three stars for value, but four overall because whatever the shortcomings of this particular product, the basic concept is so good.

Purchased At:   Hirschy Didier

Submitted by Harry a

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had this CD changer for over one year and have had problems from day one. Sent the unit back to Sony repair 2 times because it kept jaming and broke several cd's. After the third time (warranty expired) I took the machine and crushed it with a sledge hamer.

Submitted by Jeff Cooper a

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the worst sony product i have purchased. I own several things made by sony. I have sent the cx-230 in for repair 4 times and they keep telling me nothings wrong with it, This has come from sony repair and Best buy repair people. best buy repair has told me that this model has a bad design and it breaks cd's. When i asked them to replace the cd-230 i was told no. I cannot believe Sony would sell a product knowing that it is a piece of garbage.

MS 1400W: