Sony CDP-CX210 CD Players

2.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $140.00

200 Disk CD-Player

Submitted by Howard Halligan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've had good luck with Sony products except for one receiver. Do not move these changers with CDs in them or you will have a mess on your hands. Otherwise they work well. I bought this on a lark as a J&R closeout. Its sound quality was not as good as my Sony XA1ES single CD player, however it served as a good storage device and gave me changer capabilities when I needed it. When I bought an Outlaw 1050 receiver with optical inputs I noticed a great improvement in my XA1ES so I bought a Sony 240 changer w/ opticaL output. What a difference! I daisy chained the 210 with the 240 and as my CD colection grew I relegated older (historical) recordings to the 210. I still use it for that purpose, daisy-chained with the 240 and my new 400, although, since I once again have excess capacity, some of the better historical recordings have been moved to the 240. I now operate them all through my Nirvis Slink-e computer interface (see my Sony 400 review) which alows me to program songs from all 3. What fun!

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by Danny Geuss a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got one of these about 3 years ago as a floor model. They were pretty expensive at the time but I got this one for a pretty good price. My previous few multi-CD players died horrible deaths after about a year each. I've had this one for three years and it still works perfectly!!

I don't have anything to compare it to so I can't comment on the quality of the sound.

I've never had any problems with it eating CD's or scratching anything. It has been extremely relibable compared to previous CD players.

My only complaints are that the blocks are set to every 25 CD's rather than user defined and that I can't make custom labels for each CD.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Josh Landess a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm writing this review to pass on my brief recent experience as a clear warning. Stay away from this stupid piece of rotten poorly-designed equipment.

I bought this machine through the classifieds here on audioreview.com The seller was honest and did not misrepresent or over-charge. I failed to heed the warning signs here in the reviews.

This machine loads the cd's from the changer through a mechanical process. In my case, it picked them up and tended to drop some of them, so that they did not load properly. This started a painful mechanical process wherein it would re-attempt this mechanical process several times, all the while mashing mechanical parts against the delicate aspects of the fallen CD. I recalled a review or two here which stated this, and the review had said that with proper adjustment the player could be made to function excellently with no worries as to this "make-or-break" issue.

I was unable to effect the adjustment myself and took it to the local Sony repair place. They seemed completely unfamiliar with the issue at all (very very bad sign) but offered to look at it. But then they referred me to a local guy who they felt would be more familiar with the equipment. He had worked there previously. I went to him, had him "fix" it, paid him about $75 on top of the $110 or so I'd shelled out for the purchase and shipping, and took it home and it still didn't work. I threw it away. Enough was enough.

I don't know if the later-model Sony CD changers have seriously improved this problem, but if I buy a multiple cd changer in the future, it will *not* be based on a design of picking up the cd's and putting them down, as in the Sony.

Submitted by Adam a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
There is four reason why I hate this product. "S" "O" "N" "Y". This is the worst CD player that I have ever used. I have had it in the shop once for a problem in the intergrated circuits. I still have that problem. It will act like it is skipping but it isn't, it is the CD player. It has a loud motor noise. It is just an all around cheap ass cd player. I will never buy a Sony product again.
My friend has the same player and has the same problems. Come on Sony make something good.

Submitted by David a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
I had to take this unit bak 3 times because it kept dropping my cd's all the way in the back. I have the unit loaded with 150 CD's and every time this happens I have to take them all out and try to get the ones that have been knocked off in the back Back on. I took it back to best buy twice and they informed me they "RE-alligned the Carosel. This has happened twice with the same fix. The people at best buy said that I was crazy or something since they could never get the problem to occor on their end. I offered to bring it in with MY CD's so they could verify it and they told me that they would not be responsible if any "Dissappeared" while they had the unit. When I requested a new unit they told me that they had Three chances to fix it right before they would replace it. I RE-Cleaned all of my CD's and put them back in. Every once in a while the unit skips. No reason for this of course It just skips. Turn it off and back on and it seems OK. The unit has started to work fine and over the last 6 Months has performed Flawlessly. Sound quality is good. If not for the Idoits at best buy I would be much Happier. My suggestion buy from a Quality Electronics store with someone other that 16 year old kids working on the equipment.

CSB 1206 BLK: