Sony CDP-CE535 CD Players

4.43/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

5-Disk Carousel style CD-Player/Changer

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Not sure why several reviewers have eluded to sound issues with this unit via the analog connection. I have tested/used
several CD players in the sub $100 category (AIWA/Technics/JVC/Teac) and the CDP CE235 is IMHO MUCH better interms of color and clarity. The player produces nice bass and has a "natural" sound. It is loaded with features that, most likely will not be used, but who knows?
Features such as: ability to connect to a second cd player,
reads text based discs, fade function, delete track function, controlling a mega changer, time edit etc.
The unit appears to be built solidly and has a very functional/readable display. As noted above , the remote lacks a power and open/close function. Best of all, with the new Sony model , CDP CE545 now out, this unit can be bought for a song. I got a floor sample at Best Buy for $79!! This is a steal. Enjoy!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Chris Clark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have really enjoyed this CD Player, and it has done everything I've expected it to do. It has some great features and sounds terrific when using the digital optical output.

QUICK SUMMARIES:

FEATURES
CD Text and Delete Bank are terrific features. The delete bank allows you to delete a title from being played - even during random play. It allows more of your favorites to always be playing. CD text works well, but only with CD titles - not tracks. Still a cool feature though. I've also been able to play CD-R's with it - which is an added bonus.

SOUND
Optical out is terrific and sounds much better than the analog in my opinion. A low signal/noise ratio is definitely a noticable plus. Overall, I find the sound to be very nice, although I have little to compare it to other than my Toshiba DVD player. It's much much better than the Toshiba which is designed for DVDs.

PERFORMANCE
The random play can be a tad slow, but only barely. Maybe 8 seconds during a swap. Being able to exchange 4 CD's while another is playing is an awesome feature found on most cd changers today. Very cool.

MISC
I received some cordless headphones as a gift this year - so the headphones out are a nice feature also. The remote is very well laid out, even though with a Pronto I rarely use it. The front panel is also well laid out and has everything you need for sitting in front of it and playing your music. The jog dial is my favorite little button in my HT! Very neat way to scan tracks.

I do wish it had a remote controllable on/off switch (is this 2001 or 1985?). But, I knew it was missing going in though, and plan to fix that using an x-10 controller. Plus, you usually have to get up to load the thing anyway.

To summarize, I'm very happy with it. I would suggest this product. For under $200, I think it's a great deal.

Purchased At:   Onecall

Submitted by Rick M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is one feature packed carousel player. The price is icing on the cake. This unit is more likely to appeal to a casual listener rather than an enthusiast or audiophile. I was able to compare this unit against the Marantz CC-48 in my home for several days. I preferred the sound of the Marantz by a very slight margin (but it took critical listening and good headphones to hear the difference). In the end my decision to keep the Sony was made based on the features it offers over the Marantz. My favorite is the "delete bank" fetaure which allows you to delete any number of tracks from up to 305 cd's and th eunit will remember this in the future and never play those tracks again. It even works in shuffle mode (something no other brand offers).

The build quality seems at least on par with the Marantz and I liked the info packed display window over the more spartan Marantz display. Unfortunately it is slow to change from disc to disc in shuffle mode (the Marantz was much quicker).

Ths Sony also only lets you cahnge 2 discs at a time. My old Yamaha CDC-765 drawer opened further to allow access to 4 discs.

In the end, I chose the Sony's features, price, and display over the Marantz's slight sonic advantage (which was barley audible except under extreme scrutiny) and speed.

Purchased At:   HIFI.com

Submitted by Mark Spagnoli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very happy with this model. I'v started to copy some of my favorite CD's, just to burn in the CD-Text stuff - too cool to scroll through the titles with the jog dial. No problems with this unit whatsoever. Can't beat the price.

The gear:

B&K Ref 20
Sherbourn 5\1500
Klipsch Reference all the way around
Energy exl:s12 sub
Alesis meq 230 eq

play loud

Submitted by tim fryett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
this is a good model, especially for like $150 incl. s/h. (jandr.com). good value.

gosh darnit, among many great features, two incredibly annoying problems stood out:
1. lack of a remote power button. what were they fricking thinking? who wants to try to fall asleep to music then get up and turn off your cd player. when all my other components do, it sucks!
2. no headphone volume control. don't plan on using headphones with this model. you can use the overall level control to lower volume (from the remote), but it still will blow your ears out.

i like the cd text and 2nd cd player control. you can't beat the value on this. also, the jog dial is fantastic. you won't be able to go back to normal buttons again!
it is made a little cheaply, and if you would find the two problems to be unbearable, go for another equivlent cd changer, the prices are so low these days.

Atlantic Technology: